Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you a piecer or a quilter? >
  • Are you a piecer or a quilter?

• Are you a piecer or a quilter?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 AM

I actually enjoy both, it's the middle part I don't like. I don't like doing the basting, because even though I (finally!) have a pretty good technique down that works well for me and I work up on a table, it's still tough on my back.

So I tend to build up finished tops - not because I'm reluctant to quilt them, but because I'm reluctant to sandwich them.

Once they're sandwiched and basted, I enjoy the quilting process very much, especially FMQ (even though I'm not all that good at it yet). I'm always excited to start quilting a quilt! It feels like I'm on the last leg of a race - the finish line is so close!!

I'm probably more skilled at piecing than I am at quilting, but I enjoy both.
    Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 AM

I am more of a piecer, but do love the hand quilting except I am so slow at it, that I don't do it very often.
    Old 02-03-2016, 07:12 AM

I piece because I love it. Quilt because I have to. But since I use vintage machines exclusively now, quilting is much easier. The trick is that they all tend to pull the top thru a tiny bit more than the bottom so I never get bunching, wrinkling, or folds.
    Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 AM

I think I enjoy the piecing part best but once I do get started at the quilting part I'm okay and actually enjoy it. I got behind on my quilt tops for awhile but told myself I couldn't start any more till I got those all quilted. I'm down to 1 almost finished with one more to go and someday the wallhanging will get finished. Still need to add the border now that I figured out what I wanted for the border.
    Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM

At this stage I am a piecer, like you I like to see the puzzle come together.
    Yet I find myself delving into the quilting as my latest passion with the hobby. My trigger- finding stencils at a quilt Guild sale.
    My new frustrations the wiggle with the pivot and a small harp area.
    Right now I find myself stumped with indecision-do I finally add the binding to the quilt and get it done, do I play/practice with quilting, do I cut the pieces for my next project, if I start with a new project do start with Christmas 2016 or the Pinwheels and Prairie points. I have two days of blizzard to be quilting and I am stuck!! UGH!
    Old 02-03-2016, 08:16 AM

I have a longarm now and finish my quilts, but I honestly do not enjoy it near as much as piecing. The whole process of finding a pattern and fabric and then cutting it and sewing it together is what I enjoy. And I never ever make a quilt 100% like the pattern says, I want my quilts to be different.
    Old 02-03-2016, 08:58 AM

I am the finisher. I finish all projects that are handed to me. The group of women I sew with are always handing me stacks of leftover blocks or thing that did not turn out well. I put them together and make them work. A challenge I just love. Done is better than perfect!
    Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Smile

*** I piece
    *** I layer
    *** I hand quilt
    *** I bind
    *** I then embroider my name and date finished.
    *** I guess I am a DO-IT-ALL.
    Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 AM

I send my large quilts out, but I'm trying to become a quilter as well as a piecer. I practice on children's quilts I make for charity. The size is right and kids aren't going to grade me on my flaws :-).
    Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 AM

I like to do all of it, but I do go through phases. Sometimes I like to piece and the quilting goes undone. When I'm tired of piecing I'll pick up quilting. The only problem with quilting for me is where I actually quilt....which is the dining room table. So it requires some planning when I want to get a quilting project done.