Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a piecer or a quilter? >

Are you a piecer or a quilter?

Are you a piecer or a quilter?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:19 PM

getting better at piecing and trying to quilt but not much success yet. I enjoy doing both just wish I was better at it...
Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM

I love to machine piece and hand quilt. But since machining is so much faster than handwork, you can see why I have so many UFOs!! I do basic machine quilting, but need to branch out more with FMQ. Soon.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:45 PM

I'm certainly a piecer! I take most of my quilts to a machine quilter to get it finished! I'm glad to pay the money so I can get the finished project out of my house!
Old 02-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I enjoy the whole process. It was a fascination with hand quilting that e started quilting. I love hand quilting the most, and hand piecing after that, but I also use machines for both piecing and quilting because I want to finish more quilts than I could do by hand. I'd call myself a quilter.
This describes my initial foray into this medium to a T. I mostly machine piece and hand quilt exclusively. Hence why I make very few quilts as they are also mostly bed sized. Occasionally do hand piecing as well. In fact, fascinated by tge La Pass quilts and wondering if I can use up some of my scraps this way.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:51 PM

I'm a piecer. I have such trouble with the sandwiching and basting and won't even talk about my difficulties quilting. I don't mind doing the binding however.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter View Post
I'm a piecer. I have such trouble with the sandwiching and basting and won't even talk about my difficulties quilting. I don't mind doing the binding however.
This describes me too. I love doing the piecing and watching the quilt grow into a thing of beauty. And I like doing the binding...but the sandwiching and quilting are so hard for me. It's almost like I am fighting the quilt and the quilt is fighting me! 😀
Old 02-02-2016, 05:46 PM

I am definitely a piecer. I only have a small brother machine, so quilting is not especially fun right now. And I enjoy the "building" process of piecing. Once I get a longarm, I'm sure I'll enjoy quilting, too.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by NatalieF View Post
I love cutting and piecing but am struggling a bit more with the quilting but I think that's the part that takes practice.
Ha! And I would've said the same thing about cutting & piecing. I could do needle turn applique & FMQ all day long and while it's not perfect, my mistakes are very rarely noticeable to non-quilters. It's the precision cutting & lining up all those crazy seams that completely confounds me. I end up PP'ing most things I piece because I just can't get the pieces cut out right & once that's off, a beautiful 1/4" seam (or scant 1/4") is never enough to compensate for my wonky cutting. I really admire those that cut their own pieces without a die cut or cutting machine & can actually get the seams to match up. That is a real skill!
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 PM

I am a piecer and a quilter, but I enjoy the pieceing more. I'm still just beginning to do the quilting. I did one on a domestic machine and I've done one now on a frame. I am not proficient at either, but the frame was much nicer than wrangling a large quilt through the harp of the domestic. I am looking forward to finishing more quilts and hopefully getting better at it.

I love binding too. I hear a lot of people saying they hate that part but I find it very relaxing work and love finishing up the edges so that everything is tucked in neatly!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:05 PM

I'm a piercer and quilter I'm not a sandwicher. When I get to that stage I nearly always begin a new project. Once sandwiched I love the fmq on the top and wonder why I waited so long. At present a bad shoulder is stopping me doing any heavy putting together or mauling.