Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discard UFOs? >

Discard UFOs?

Discard UFOs?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

any quilt group would love to finish them. DO NOT throw them out, donate them. You'll be glad you did.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:13 PM

Letting them go will free you. I know it's hard, because I am struggling with the same thing, myself.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:25 PM

Project Linus UK are always looking for quilts to give to children in hospital. You could contact Joan Rhind, Dumfries & Galloway Co-ordinator on 01988 402251. She will be able to put you in contact with someone in your area. They make use of fabric and unfinished quilts. Their mottow is "A quilt is a hug you can keep".
Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 AM

I would love to say, I will take them, finish them and donate them, but I also need to clear the clutter. I understand the concept of dump what no longer brings you joy. I would suggest, methodically looking over these unfinished pieces and chose a limited number to take on to finish. Do this with the mindset of, "I started this, invested in this quilt and I need to discipline myself to finish it." The other quilts could be offered to a local quilt guild who may have members who would finish them and donate them to an organization that is local.

For my self, I would bundle them in small groups and finish them all over time. One UFO then one new project, UFO, new and so on. If you are a guild member throw a party and ask volunteers to come help and then donate to a local shelter, hospital, hospice and so on. Just more ideas!
Old 03-24-2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by fish92241 View Post
I have a different problem. My sister (102) went into a nursing home and her daughter sent me a bundle of quilts she had picked up at estate sales in Iowa. They are hand pieced and typical of quilts from farm women with limited resources. Some are more attractive than others. Should I machine quilt them---and then what? Would they be suitable for donations. They might not be sturdy enough.
I would think the best place for something like this would be an auction. There, they are usually sold as a bundle of several at a time. I know that Oregon has numerous auctions of most anything. Around here, there is a consignment auction just a few miles from my home. Things like this would be on the auction bill, so those who might like that would come. I hope you find a good home for your UFO's.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by apiarist View Post
Project Linus UK are always looking for quilts to give to children in hospital.
Thankyou. I've been in touch with Linus via Facebook and am hoping they may be interested in some of them at least, though not all would be suitable their purposes.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Some churches have groups that do community work. If you have a guild in your area they may have a community service section. Or you could bundle them into individual projects (add all the starts and scraps to finish it) and give it to a charity shop. One person's unloved UFO will be another person's cherished quilt.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Or you could bundle them into individual projects (add all the starts and scraps to finish it) and give it to a charity shop. One person's unloved UFO will be another person's cherished quilt.
Yes, the charity shop will be the last resort, though I worry that they'd recycle them, not realising what a wonderful find some people would consider a pile of unfinished quilts to be!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 AM

Do you have a local quilt guild? At a recent quilt show, the sponsoring guild had a fundraising sales booth with a large table of UFO's, bags of coordinated leftover fabric pieces, patterns and books, plus a basket of orphan blocks.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 AM

Awhile back I saw a post requesting help for victims of a particular disaster. At that time I went thru my UFO pile and sent them several that I had along with some batting.
It was a real relief to know that something I was dreading tackling would be of help to someone else.