Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Personal Quilt Police Person >

My Personal Quilt Police Person

My Personal Quilt Police Person

Old 05-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes the "thing" for me is knowing when something is "good enough" and to keep on going.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:55 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
If I notice a mistake before I get my quilt quilted, I will go back and fix it no matter how much I have to rip out and redo. However, if I notice the mistake after it has been quilted I don't try to go back and fix it but, just knowing the mistake is there will haunt me for the rest of my life. And, what is even worse is that I can't help but point the error out to the individual to whom I gift the quilt although I know it is unlikely they would ever notice it on their own since they are not quilters. Is this not dumb?
Well, we all have to do what we need to do to feel good about our work. Personally I've left some major goofs and felt ok about it. One quilt the squares were put the wrong way until after I had sewed the whole top together. I left it and felt it made a fun aspect of the quilt.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:09 PM

I have accepted the fact that it isn't possible for me to make a perfect quilt. I haven't seen a perfect quilt either. My goal is to make beautiful and pleasing quilts. That goal I can and do achieve. I have seen many pleasing and beautiful quilts. They are possible. Does anyone say, that is a perfect quilt? I don't think so. I hear, words such as pretty, pleasing, gorgeous, lovely, cute, creative, etc.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 PM

I get too worked up about small imperfections also. Some people just seem to naturally match up points, press perfectly and finish lots of quilts. I am still at the point where I have to work at it.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:01 AM

My husband is my consultant when I quilt. He has a good eye for color and design and consistency and is a positive encourager However, he will point out mistakes or things he doesn't like. I usually show him fabric combinations and patterns I have in mind for a project. He will tell me if he likes it or make suggestions he thinks will improve it. As I am putting a quilt together I will show him my progress. He will make suggestions if he sees anything he thinks needs correction. I am more likely to let little things go by but not my husband. "Fix it while you can" is his motto. The end result is that we are both happy with the end product.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Boo boos drive me bonkers as well! I try to fix them but if I have done something over a zillion times and it's still wrong, I let it go and move on.
I have the exact same sentiments Tartan. I try & try to fix any boo boos but if it doesn't work, then I try my best to
"let it go".
Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I still miss things. Not beating myself up over it.
Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
I check every seam/intersection in a block/quilt after it's sewn. If it's not correct, I fix it right away.

Nancy
Old 05-26-2016, 06:26 AM

I'm with tartan. Actually, I am too old to obsess about things that I try my darndest to get right and they just refuse to get there.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I try to fix a problem three times. If I can't then it has to stay.
I am trying to make a perfect quilt, haven't yet. I am getting better at all aspects of quilting. I finish one and start another. I make lots of quilts and donate or give to someone one of us know.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Afraid I am more like Bearisgray, and if I notice something that is wrong I have to fix it. My family tells me that I am a much better quilter than I give myself credit. While making a Double Irish Chain quilt I made up 3 blocks and was not happy with one of the colors and took the blocks apart trying 3 more fabrics before I finally happy with one. For me it is hard to finish a quilt I am not happy with how it is developing no matter what the reason.
My family, too. But they are not quiltmakers! I think I assess my own work pretty well, and it depends on my mood, the project, time, and many other factors how stringent I am about "fixing" mistakes.