Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern? >

If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern?

If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Lands, long before all our fancy technical tools were even invented, I was 'seeing' quilts in terms of pattern rather than color. What I couldn't quickly see, I drew out on graph paper and colored in whatever way came to me. I still do this, but, now I often graph in the Paint program on my laptop.

I believe if you will train yourself to "find the block" it will be easier for you to see the quilt as pattern, beyond the color.

Jan in VA
Ah My Friend Jan ~

You are such an expert at "finding the block" a talent I admire so much when you post helping yet another QB member realize that "seeing the block" is what makes you such a talented quilter and in turn exampling "You certainly can do it!" Especially for someone like me who is intimidated by seemingly difficult quilt blocks. You are a treasure.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 AM

I'm very color challenged in saying that, I have a very hard time looking past the colors of a display quilt or pattern example and imagining it in a different colorway.

I appreciate Jenny Doan now seems to make suggestions with her videos that another colorway such as batiks or all in blues etc... would look great in a quilt she is giving a tutorial on via Missouri Star Quilts.

Our local quilt shop owner has no issues with pictures being taken of Quilt Samples in the shop. I'm pattern dependent personally and taking a picture wouldn't help me personally to figure out a pattern i.e. what sizes to cut the pattern pieces. But then, I think it all boils down to the honesty of paying the pattern developer what is due them. JMHO.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 10-16-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I look at a quilt the way I look at a house, just get a new can of paint (fabric color). I've seen patterns I love but want to try a different color and will it work with just 2 colors instead of multiple.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:05 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Ah My Friend Jan ~

You are such an expert at "finding the block" a talent I admire so much when you post helping yet another QB member realize that "seeing the block" is what makes you such a talented quilter and in turn exampling "You certainly can do it!" Especially for someone like me who is intimidated by seemingly difficult quilt blocks. You are a treasure.
My goodness, what a sweet thing to say! Thank you very much, Onalee.
I hope I didn't sound --- oh, I don't know --- overly simplistic? I know it can be hard to "find the block"; it's a "takes practice" kind of thing sometimes. But, usually, if you do see the block, you can de-construct that and find the way to make the block. That ability, and perhaps the use of graph paper (or your tech tool of choice), can help you then design your own colorway, size, or quilts.

I forget occasionally that not all quilters are taught this ability/skill, as I've taught my beginning quilt classes using this technique in the very first week for over 30 years, using many photos of quilts. I've had students let me know years later how valuable it was to "see" quilts this way.
Thank you again for your words.

Jan in VA