Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone still use a bread machine? >

Anyone still use a bread machine?

Anyone still use a bread machine?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Amazon.com has all kind of them, looks like from $45 to close to $300.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 PM

This fall I lost my breadmaker in a basement flood. It was a Black and Decker that made an upright shaped loaf and it performed fairly well. I was looking on Amazon and thought that I might try another brand. I have looked in thrift stores but they are expensive ranging from $20 - $30. At those prices I may as well increase my budget and get a new one with a warranty.

Any suggestions for any brand/models of the moderately/mid-range priced ones?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:25 PM

I use mine. Sometime I just let it mix the dough and bake it in the oven. I like this better. Sometimes I let the machine do it. It all depends what else I have to do that day. My favorite bread recipe is the one for no knead bread. http://www.frugallivingnw.com/amazin...y-step-recipe/ It is really good. I usually mix it up in the evening and bake it the next night after dinner.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Forgiven View Post
This is the one we use at church:
2 1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. oil
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. honey
Combine flours and salt in bowl. Mix oil, milk and honey together and add all at once to dry ingredients. (I always mixed the milk and honey together first and microwaved it for 1 1/2 min. to blend better. It got lukewarm but not hot). Pat into ungreased jelly roll pan, 1/2" thick. Bake at 350 for 30 min. Cut immediately into cubes while still hot. Let cool in pan before removing with a spatula.
Thanks for this! I'll try it to see how it works. :-) You're a gem!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Had one...gave up trying....some mixes would work and some ended up like a odd shaped bowling ball. I know it was me and the yeast....how do you get that water at precisely that temp! I don't see any bread machine bread mixes in the stores, but I don't really look for them either. I see dozens of bread machines at the local goodwill store! ...oh, how I LOVE bread....the crustier the better.....none in house now, but I have to run errands later.......bread will be on my list!

Water temp over 115 degrees will kill the yeast. I use 112 degrees. Use a thermometer. The best investment you can have for your cooking is an excellent quality instant read thermometer. I like Thermapan brand the best. Most meat is over cooked because everyone wants to make sure it is cooked through.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
Use mine monthly, and some of my "experiments" turn out great, others........................
I have to agree, I need to get my bread machine out and try again. I just again on weight watchers so I am trying to watch my bread intake. Unless there is a low calorie good bread recipe I can try..
Old 03-10-2017, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
would you give more details/amounts on this, if it is for your no-knead bread:

My basic recipe is
unbleached flour
salt (don't mix salt with the yeast)
warm water (112 degrees)
yeast

Mix, knead, rise. Deflate, shape, bake.
I have been making bread for years so it's hard to detail in writing. I don't measure anything but the yeast and salt. I know by sight and feel how much water or flour that needs to be added. I like a wet sticky dough for first rise. I make a starter of the ingredients (except salt) first and let that sit for a few hours or a day and add to that to make my dough. There are many basic bread how tos online to get you started to being a good breadmaker.
Baking bread without salt results in very disappointing tasting bread to most.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

This is a fun topic for me. I can control myself with anything but fresh baked bread! I told my family never to get me a bread machine because before they knew it I would be baking/eating/baking/eating and then I would be on one of those shows where they have to take a wall out of my house to get me to a hospital. I see them at thrift stores and know I would be hitting danger territory (for me!) so have to remind myself to "step away from the bread machine!"
Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 AM

I use mine all the time. I just make the dough, then put it in two pans, let rise & bake. To control how much bread we eat we always slice both loaves (when cool) and freeze in four slice lots. Gets rid of the crumbs all at once. LOL.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Water temp over 115 degrees will kill the yeast. I use 112 degrees. Use a thermometer. The best investment you can have for your cooking is an excellent quality instant read thermometer. I like Thermapan brand the best. Most meat is over cooked because everyone wants to make sure it is cooked through.
Thanx for the info......