Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!! >

Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!!

Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
Stitch124 -- I only have one suggestion...Quit buying fabric now and start to set aside the money you would spend so that you have it when you retire. I bought a lot of fabric when I 1st started quilting, and as I have progressed I have wanted to try new things. You will find the fabric you have bought might not be what you want when you finally retire. But I would be aggressive about saving that money only for quilting. I know from experience that when you see something on sale or cute it's hard to pass it by, but you could be a lot happier in the long run. I hope you have a great time in retirement.
Yes, yes, yes....KSellers has it exactally right. When I first started quilting (still working but had no fabric build-up), I would buy something I liked when I saw it on sale. I had no plan for it....just knew I liked it. So after about 15 years I "forced" myself to use it in a "mystery quilt" I was making. Put the remaining fabric on the back just so I would never have to dig around it to find fabric I wanted to use again. Mystery quilt turned out fine, but made me happiest to have the green daisy fabric "gone"!!!
Old 06-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I'm in the same boat as Patrice S (aka Cashsmom), we own two businesses which are busiest in the summer months and until we decide to sell one or both, I won't be retiring anytime soon. My husband is 18 years older than me but he cannot retire, he says he'd go nuts...but I told him I definitely plan to retire but I'm only 54 (sigh). Therefore, I have to squeeze the majority of my quilting in during the winter months.
I hear ya about him not wanting to retire. My husband is the same. He'd probably go nuts and take me with him! I think that's fairly common with self employed people. One of the reasons we're thinking about buying a smaller house with more land is so he can have more cars and motorcycles and have something to do working on them. Mostly so he won't bug me
Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 AM

I'm already retired and was still buying fabric for the 1st 2 years (actually had a regular job for 9 mos during that time), but now I try to be more judicious in my purchases, since I already have enough fabric. For my last few projects, I have shopped my stash and that helps.

Enjoy retirement!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:43 AM

I didn't quilt until after I retired. I started almost 2 years after retiring. I guess I will have to live to be 100 to get all my quilt dreams done
Old 06-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Retirement is the FIRST time in life that you really can do what you want to do with your time. Other than the necessities of life, that is. We all have to eat, clean, etc. no matter whether retired or working, so that doesn't count toward doing exactly what you want to do.

Retirement has been a joy for me. Took up quilting, grands in summer, some volunteer work, some just loafing around; my time serves me well. I do have too much fabric, so have started donating it, or cutting it into strips for charity quilts.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:59 PM

retired from as a school counselor 4 years ago August and LOVE it! Love not setting an alarm (except on Guild day) , being able to stay up as late as I want and sleep as long as I want. I either sew or work on the long arm almost every day--anywhere from 2 hrs to 6 hrs. My DH retired about 6 yrs ago and now writes short stories and novels, so we have our "own" activities and can really enjoy the time we spend together each evening. The best part?! We can travel ANY time we want--not just July, Christmas vacation or Springbreak! We can even go see kids/g-boys during the week. AND I can wear anything I want during the day!
Old 06-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

We retired first of this year. I sew 4-5 hours a day, sleep late, stay up late. My Husband acts like everyday is the weekend. Thinks he must work most of each day on projects. I do housework and laundry when the mood strikes. Everything stays pretty clean. Our 6 Grandkids are grown except the youngest, will be 15 next month. No babysitting for me. Four Great grands are not close by. Retirement is great for me.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
Stitch124 -- I only have one suggestion...Quit buying fabric now and start to set aside the money you would spend so that you have it when you retire. I bought a lot of fabric when I 1st started quilting, and as I have progressed I have wanted to try new things. You will find the fabric you have bought might not be what you want when you finally retire. But I would be aggressive about saving that money only for quilting. I know from experience that when you see something on sale or cute it's hard to pass it by, but you could be a lot happier in the long run. I hope you have a great time in retirement.
What terrific advice, KSellers!!
I have at least 10 years before I can retire - hubby retired a few months ago, and I'm seeing how a person's goals/attitude/interests/mindset changes without the "job" mentality. I even got to (sort of) experience how it might be when we're both retired, when I got laid off from work in March. However, I started my new job this week, and both hubby and the Chihuahua are showing signs of "Mama" withdrawal... they both meet me at the door with hugs, kisses and wiggles of joy.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
... Now it's just finding time to use it. I think I am busier since I retired.
My hubby said essentially the same thing - "How did I ever get all this done when I had a job?!?"
My answer - "We had help - the kids." (The kids are now grown, so...no helpers, except me.)
Old 06-11-2017, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I see you are a square dancer. I am a contra dancer. Have you ever tried contra? I am off to a square and contra dance this evening. What fun! A good work out with friends and terrific music. A good alternative when I need a break from work and quilting on a Saturday night. As much as I enjoy quilting, I am sure I will stretch out to other activities also in retirement. Once a teacher always a teacher but in retirement it will be more on my terms!
I have tried contra dancing a few times, but other things are discouraged at our regular square dances. We do a lot of plus dancing; that's a little higher level of square dancing. We used to do some line dances in between tips, but not so much in our club now.
Yes, I'm still square dancing. My knees don't like steps anymore, but as long as I can walk and dance, I'm satisfied.