Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Looking for ideas for a cutting table >
  • Looking for ideas for a cutting table

• Looking for ideas for a cutting table

Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM

The Harbor Freight bench is really nice. Too long for the space I have but a nice option for someone with more room.
    Old 07-27-2017, 11:09 AM

I have very little room in my sewing/office/guest room for a cutting table. In fact, I don't have one. BUT, I do have an ironing board set up that could easily be modified to be a cutting board. I took 2 matching filing cabinets that I had (IKEA??) that are on wheels and put them together. My DH then made a top that has a lower lip on it so that it fits snuggly over the two cabinets. The overall size is about 2 ft. by 3 ft. I use it for an ironing board, or a small cutting table. When I want to move it around, I just take off the top and wheel the carts. I suppose that I could even wheel it around with the top still on it. This idea could be modified to make a larger cutting table by attaching hinged "wings" that fold down when not in use. The entire top is also removable, so if you wanted to separate the cabinets, (Make into end tables, perhaps?) you could store the top somewhere else.

I may actually take this idea of adding folding wings and do it to my own set-up. I also want to make the cabinets more rustic by spraying them with a "hammered finish" and changing out the plastic pulls to something more antique or industrial looking.

~C
    Old 07-29-2017, 05:22 PM

Thank you! My sewing room setup has been on hold, company here. But I've got plenty of ideas to try out as soon as I am able again.
    Old 07-30-2017, 04:33 AM

Years ago down in Florida I had a very small bedroom so made it into my sewing/computer/storage room as I didn't have a bed for it anyway. I had someone make a built-in on the long wall (only 10 feet wide) where I had a folding table I could pull down when I wanted to sew or cut fabric on. Inside that cabinet I had shelves above to keep my sewing stuff. This of course was before I got into real sewing. The next compartment had my computer and the next compartment held my vacumn. Above all that were more cabinets for more storage. Had a very small house so ever inch needed to be used as best it could. Each compartment had their own set of doors so I could hide everything when I had company. Worked for the time. Eventually I took the front porch area and incorporated it into that bedroom adding an extra 8' x 10' so all was torn out. Worked for the moment though.
    Old 08-04-2017, 05:19 PM

I purchased a husky work bench from Home Depot that has an adjustable height and is on casters. I got it on sale and love it.
    Old 08-06-2017, 06:57 AM

I think I may have found my solution. Just have to test it out. Our place here in Maine is an old hunting camp. My mother-in-law had a vintage, wooden ironing board that was made locally. I just remembered that I stuck it away in a closet last year. It is very, very sturdy. Last year, I also bought a big board to put over our washer and dryer to cut on. (That solution didn't work out since they are on a screened porch and it gets quite dusty out there due to the wind). But, I'm thinking if I put that board on top of the ironing board in a corner, it just might be sturdy and safe enough to cut on. I really hope so. I will be able to take it all apart and store it when we have company that needs to use that room, as well, which would be very helpful. So, now, just to try it out.
    Thank you, all. Mulling over all of your ideas has certainly been helpful.
    Old 08-06-2017, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks for starting this thread. I've noticed lately that I'm getting a lot of neck pain cutting on the back of my sewing table. It's great for my machine but not so great on my neck. I need something higher.
    Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

Can someone tell me how to bookmark threads?
    Old 08-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Go to Thread Tools and subscribe to this thread. I don't get email notifications. Hope that helps.
    Cutting at the right height will really make a difference to you.
    Old 08-06-2017, 05:09 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do
    Go to Thread Tools and subscribe to this thread. I don't get email notifications. Hope that helps.
    Cutting at the right height will really make a difference to you.
    Done- thanks so much!