Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Looking for ideas for a cutting table >

Looking for ideas for a cutting table

Looking for ideas for a cutting table

Old 07-02-2017, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Meant to cancel this comment. Got carried away. My cutting table is 2 cabinets 24" deep and the hubs made a 28"x48" piece of plywood to cover. [QUOTE=tessagin;7855811]Almost done with redoing my sewing room. The hubs installed a window A/C. Purchased an air mattress. My room with available sleeping space is 8'x9' (actual availability). I have 18" around the bed. As I said though, it's an air mattress and easy to pack away. The furniture including cutting table are easy to move. Hardwood floors make it easy to clean with a dust mop. I also now have an actual design wall which will also become a backdrop for the next time we need to put up the air mattress. Changed the color from an orangey
Old 07-02-2017, 06:38 AM

I purchased a Husky work table from Home Depot (50% off) it is 24x60 so it holds my 24x36 mat nicely. It is on casters and also cranks up or down to adjust the height. I have a rolling drawer unit from Ikea that fits nicely under it for storage of other sewing items.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I purchased a Husky work table from Home Depot (50% off) it is 24x60 so it holds my 24x36 mat nicely. It is on casters and also cranks up or down to adjust the height. I have a rolling drawer unit from Ikea that fits nicely under it for storage of other sewing items.
Do you happen to have a picture of your set-up? Sounds like something I could easily do in my small space
Old 07-02-2017, 11:50 AM

How about a murphy bed-like cutting board - a board that you can put on hinges and fold down when you need to cut fabric, but fold up when you have guests who need to use the bed. It would need sturdy supports under it when it is used for cutting, but the supports could also fold up - kind of like a card table. It doesn't need to be the length of the bed, it just needs to be big enough to meet your need.

If you do this, then put a spread over the bed to catch falling pins. Then just carefully change the spread for the one you really want to use when you have guests.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:39 PM
yel

what about putting 2 book cases[the three shelf kind ] one on each side of the lower
part of the bed and putting a door from home depot on top
Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I had a sewing machine table, no leaves, just a hole in it to put a machine in. My Husband years ago glued an Oak sheet on it. A few months ago I toyed with the idea of giving it to goodwill. Just to get rid of it, a light bulb went off. I had him glue a 1/2 or 3/4" sheet of plywood on top of the oak, big enough for my largest cutting mat to fit with an inch of space around it. We didn't finish the top and the mat doesn't slide around. I put bed risers under the legs. I am 5'-7" and it is the perfect size for me. The cutting table I bought years ago at joanns went to goodwill, it wasn't sturdy enough. If need be I can use my dining table. So many ways to make a cutting table.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Wow! So many more great ideas here.
I disappeared for a while because we were visited by a tornado up here in Maine on July 1st. Yes, a tornado! Damage to our waterfront, lost a huge tree which is hung up in some other trees until the tree guy can fit us in his schedule but thankfully no one was hurt. Scary to see and experience.
So, my sewing space is on the back burner but I am hopeful that I'll have something in place by August.
Thank you all, I'll be busy researching your ideas now.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM

I went to a thrift shop and purchased multiple old fashioned TV carts with wheels, one at least has locking wheels. Paid somewhere around $3 or $4 or $5 each. (Not sure how many I have now. I use them a lot of places.) I purchased heavy, one inch thick, wood at Lowes for the cutting table; the weight makes it very secure. I covered plywood with that silver reflective fabric for the ironing table. They are both the same height as my sewing machines so I can move them wherever I want and can wheel my sewing chair from one to the other, too. Very sturdy and convenient, small and cheap! Some even have storage shelving underneath; a bonus! Could easily be stored in a closet if needed.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

The air mattress we got actually according to my kids was quite comfortable. It was only $45 at Academy. Also got 2 twin air mattress for $8 each. This came in handy and worked well for our family. I can easily let out the air and get my sewing room back. All the furniture moves easily on my hardwood floors along with a set of casters on the larger cabinet. The air mattress for the bedroom is a queen and was pretty firm.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:56 AM

Yes, those air mattresses are a far cry from the ones from my youth - the kind that you blew up and used to float at the beach, too. We have that set up in our second bedroom in Florida for the same reason you do. Here, in a more rustic setting (and with older visitors) we really need to stay with the twin bed.
I'm rethinking my plan. Simple sometimes is just better. We have only have 16 x 25 inches of counter space and the peninsula style bar counter is almost 42 inches high which is much too high for someone of my stature. I think I'll just put risers under the kitchen table. The light is good there. There really is no reason to cut in the bedroom.
I am going to visit the vintage stores around here soon so I'll keep an open mind but this might be my best bet.
Thank you all again!