Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure? >

Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure?

Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure?

Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 AM

I would call the Better Business Bureau, your State Attorney General and see if there is a complaint resolution segment on your television or newspaper (great suggestion!). I think I would try the TV/news first. Dealers need good reputations and a local story about a problem with them would make them think differently.

They have all the power right now and they know it. You have several tools - corporate, legal and reputational. I would use them all. I might consult an attorney to know what my options are. Two bad products, deprivation of the product for a prolonged period and the inability to get your money back might be grounds for a letter from an attorney.

Call Juki and talk to someone senior and ask them to "help with your dealer before you make this story public". They won't want bad publicity either. Keep being the squeaky wheel. If you go away quietly, you let them forget about you.

Good luck. Sounds like this dealer has lost your trust and you don't want to have to continue your interactions into the future.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:01 AM

The shop I bought my Juki DX5 from sent it to their technician, who adjusted the tension per the ticket. Couldn't get more detail than that. The sales person I have been working with spent a little time before I arrived at the store running samples through it. Then I ran samples through it, and also changed thread to try that out (since my try with polyester thread pre-service was terrible). Thus far stitches are better and consistent. Even on the Kona solids, and switching back and forth between different samples (as well as taking the length of the stitch down smaller). Even with the polyester thread.

The machine is also better with the first stitches (previously the first 3 stitches were loose and 1 or 2 could be pulled out easily). The first stitch, if no back stitch is used, can still be pulled out easily most of the time. But I am gathering that is common (though not totally sure). I ran some samples through my Elna, and some of them them have a bit looser first stitch that I can pull out. Not every stitch, but more than I thought. Since I have not had issues with my Elna, I guess I never scrutinized it that closely. But since most seams are crossed or I use leader and ender pieces of fabric - that kind of fixes that - or I can always add a back stitch at the beginning. I will be watching this to see that it doesn't worsen to multiple stitches again.

I don't totally trust the machine to hold out, but only time will tell. It does have a lot of nice features for that price point. Which of course only matters if the machine works as it is supposed to.

Meanwhile I am keeping open the option to trade in before the end of next year. My interest is in a Brother machine (eyeing the BQ1350). But I have time to see how my machine works And to try out the Brother machines to determine what works best for me. I am hoping that as RhondaK said, the dealer will allow the discount price on another machine with full credit from my current machine (or at least close to that).

Thank you all to your pointers, perspective and advice.

Dawn

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-09-2018 at 04:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps