Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure? >

Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure?

Trading up a machine-typical dealer operating procedure?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
This is why I refuse to buy a machine from a dealer.

Rob
This is the very thought that has gone through my mind - never again. I have only bought from a dealer one time prior, and that was a good 15 years ago. I did not have any issues, but of course that machine worked as it should.

After this comes to whatever resolution it comes to, I will thank this dealer for likely saving me money in the future as they have successfully insured that I will never buy from them or another dealer again. I will make sure she knows I will talk about this far and wide. The dealer will not care, but I will say it anyway, and I hope the store happens to be full of people that day.

To think, I almost bought this machine online, but as the person I had been dealing with at this shop was so pleasant, helpful and non-pushy, the machine was at a slightly lower price, and I found myself thinking that I should probably buy local to have dealer support should anything go wrong - well I went ahead and bought here. I would have gladly paid the extra now, because dealer support is but a laughable thought.

There may be other local dealers out there that would do the right thing in this instance (I believe there was one comment that indicated they they offer refunds if a person is not happy with their machine for any reason) - but I'll not go through this again.

Yes, I will look into the Better Business Bureau. I'll have to look into the news sources and see if one of them does that type of thing, where they help consumers out.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 PM

Personally, I would buy from a reputable dealer, one that services what they sell, they should also offer free classes to familiarize you with whatever machine you buy.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

My friend traded in her Bernina(new) 830 which was out of warranty on a new Brother Dream machine. She got the full price she paid for the Bernina deducted from the Brother but still owed some for the Brother. She was happy with the trade.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:13 PM

Jordan Fabrics in Grants Pass, Oregon (has a lot of great videos on U tube) has a Juki. It sounds wonderful.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My friend traded in her Bernina(new) 830 which was out of warranty on a new Brother Dream machine. She got the full price she paid for the Bernina deducted from the Brother but still owed some for the Brother. She was happy with the trade.
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Jordan Fabrics in Grants Pass, Oregon (has a lot of great videos on U tube) has a Juki. It sounds wonderful.
Onebyone - sounds like a good deal, I hear the Brother dream machine is a great machine!

Battle Axe - actually most people love their Juki's (straight stitch especially). The F600 gets rave reviews, and most like their DX series machines as well. I really like the DX5, lot of great features. But I somehow managed to get 2 in a row with issues out of the box. I don't know if they came from the same lot and there was something wrong in general with QA on that lot or what. But yes, in general most people are very happy with their Juki's.

And I should qualify my comment about never buying from a dealer. Because I would consider one IF I had an agreeable return policy in writing prior to buying (such that one sees from say, Sewing Machines Plus - 60 days to return). I think many people have great dealers to work with, and I'm not saying there can't be value there. But I would never again risk my $$ like this. I feel rather embarrassed that I didn't realize I was risking my $$. But onward and upward at this point, we'll see what happens.

That said, I think as rryder said, there are so many other machines out there mid-tier that can be had from Amazon and such that would refund money on a machine not working as it should out of the box.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

My last two machines I bought from Amazon. I couldn't seem to bond with the first one so sent it back. No problem and free return. I ordered a different one and love it. I recently bought the Eversewn Sparrow 30 from Amazon.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Most of my machines have been purchased used, but my last two new machines were purchased from Amazon and Home Depot. Both machines are every bit as good as similar priced machines at the dealers and I knew that if I didn't like them I could return them for a full refund no questions asked at either Amazon or Home Depot-- that doesn't usually happen with dealers-- ya pays your money and then you're stuck, unless you have an unusually responsive dealer.

Rob
Old 11-17-2018, 01:49 PM

A couple of thoughts to your situation.

1) Your dealer should allow the discount price on the next machine with full credit for your original payment amount.

2) If your dealer would sell a machine to a "new" customer at that discounted price?? why "not" you?? A sale is a sale no matter. Does it matter if the sale is to keep a happy customer or sell to someone new to the shop. Honestly, they should be working with you better. Customer happiness is everything!

3) You are simply asking to be made whole. Not price gouge against a trade in from a defective machine. You should incur no additional cost except the price difference between models. You should not pay the inflated price.

I wish you the very best to get the machine you so deserve.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 11-17-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
A couple of thoughts to your situation.

1) Your dealer should allow the discount price on the next machine with full credit for your original payment amount.

2) If your dealer would sell a machine to a "new" customer at that discounted price?? why "not" you?? A sale is a sale no matter. Does it matter if the sale is to keep a happy customer or sell to someone new to the shop. Honestly, they should be working with you better. Customer happiness is everything!

3) You are simply asking to be made whole. Not price gouge against a trade in from a defective machine. You should incur no additional cost except the price difference between models. You should not pay the inflated price.

I wish you the very best to get the machine you so deserve.

Thank you. Your points were my thoughts exactly. Didn't seem unreasonable.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:24 AM

This is how they normally work. That's why most events don't do trade ins, they are already offering a low price so they won't give you a trade in at the same time. Not all, some events do trade ins,