Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine? >

Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine?

Where Did You Buy Your Used Sewing Machine?

Old 12-20-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by LadyAg View Post
I bought a very lightly used Bernina 770qe (without the embroidery unit) from an individual for $3,050 off of EBay. I contacted the Seller before the auction ended to get their agreement, if I won the auction, to allow me time to have the machine inspected at my local Bernina dealer, and that they would pay for any needed repairs.

No repairs were needed and it has been great! I had no hope of ever affording a new machine (senior living on Social Security), so I took a chance, knowing EBay would have a record of our purchase agreement. I sold my other two sewing machines to help fund the purchase, too.

Good luck on your search!
Wow, what a great deal. My husband has purchased 3 vintage machines for me from eBay with mixed results. Of course, you have to realize this is a man who knows nothing about sewing machines buying a sewing machine from an online auction so I guess you really can't expect that much lol
Old 12-20-2021, 03:15 PM

I had a new Bernina about 20 yrs when the mother board died. Repairs; hard pressed to find a mother board for that age machine. Repair comment was the mother board is what usually dies in a computerized machine and the new ones don't fit old machines.
So, if I bought a used computerized machine, I'd check how much it's been moved, knocked around and how old. And I'd ask for the origional packaging.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:10 AM

I bought a new, sealed boxed Janome 11000 on ebay, from a newlywed who received it for a wedding gift . She didn't sew.
I thought it might be stolen after I received it, since it had not been opened and was selling for a low price. I had my local dealer check the serial number with Janome. They informed me that the machine was not stolen, it was sold by a Houston JANOME dealer. All other used machines I purchased from local dealer. Any future used machines I will get from a dealer. I sort of trust Ebay, but I don't trust any of the shippers. Any Craigslist items, not machines, I meet the seller at our police department for the exchange.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:36 AM

I have bought a few used machines, they came with the treadle cabinets I have. My Aunt gifted me her old replica Singer before she passed. I don't mind buying mechanical machines because I can fix those. The new Computerized ones I prefer to purchase new ones.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:27 AM

My Pfaff dealer takes trade ins and refurbish them to sell used. She finds a good market for them.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:44 PM

I have two garage sale found machines. Both have been great and I’ve had them for years.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:25 PM

I bought my Bernina off EBay, but what gave me confidence (aside from the high rating of the seller) was that I have a great independent machine tech in town (for those of you in the Vancouver, BC area, try "Eurotech Sewing Machine Repair").

The problem with trolling sites like EBay and Craigslist is you get sewing machine fever!
Old 12-29-2021, 05:47 PM

I purchased my machine from a dealer, a shop near me. Some one had purchased t it and returned it with less than 10 hours of use. I got it for less than half of its original price because the model was about to be discontinued in the next few months. I have had absolutely no problems with the machine. The dealer was a certified Pfaff dealer he and his repairman did repairs on all models, old and new. The shop closed but the repairman went to another new shop that opened in the same town.
I would not be the least bit hesitant to purchase a used machine from a dealer. They want to keep you as a happy customer.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:45 AM

There is an excellent, independent repair technician in my town, he's affordable, honest, and not affiliated with a shop. Therefore I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a used machine if I found the right one for the right price, no matter the source. My repair guy can fix it.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:24 AM

I bought a used longarm from Nolting happy with it. I also bought a janome from a quilt shop in Marion also happy with it. also bought a used embroidery machine off ebay happy with that also

Last edited by newbee3; 12-31-2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: wanted to add more