Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
boycotting Hancock fabric in my community >

boycotting Hancock fabric in my community

boycotting Hancock fabric in my community

Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Skyqueen30094
contact management of the store not hancock company. we don't have hancock any more in Orlando...they got a little trashy makes sense if they are individually owned
I used to live in Orlando. Was the store you mentioned on Hwy. 50? I think there used to be a Joann's in that area too. You're right, store and area was not a very desirable place to be in.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 AM

Our Hancock's is moving to a new store. Sometimes I would rather go to Hancock's than Joann's. Joann's is becomming more and more a craft store and less and less fabric it seems. Anyway, they both carry different material and thank goodness if I am seeking quilting fabric I have at least 3 LQS to go to.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:46 AM

I don't think so. I would say you are responsible for your purchase. Cut wrong yes it's the clerks fault. I really watch when anyone is cutting my fabric.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:45 AM

We have constant changes that corporate demands but the ranks can't keep up, especially if they are loosing employees, because corporate fires them. All it takes is to send a letter to corporate and it releases the employee in complaint. Nothing to the fact that the store is 'short handed' or that the stock is dumped wildly on the table and floor by some young woman in a hurry with a squawing child. The management needs more leaway per incident and the general 'know it all public' needs a little more patience. I observed a clerk at our Hancocks who was pushed to the limit. I told her I'd just wait and 'let this overbearing piece of public discontent' get through and gone. (I went in to buy six pieces of fabric.) I was being cut my second piece when she came up and demanded undivided attention with two other employees on the floor. She could have asked them, because that was all she wanted, to ask a question. "When is the next sale"? I wanted to boot her to the curb. She showed herself but this darling clerk, smiled thankfully at me and stopped to see what she wanted and all she could say, 'we'll just have to wait for the circulars.' Impatience is ugly behavior. But, I give it to this clerk, she never made a comment and continued cutting my purchase. God Bless her, it does not happen often, nor often enough. As hard as jobs are to get, and as hard as the fabric business is becoming, corporate needs to back off. More professionalism by the management and staff is needed. But, the JoAnn's in my town hired a bunch of riffraff a few years ago and it went to pot. I don't like going in there. I loved the service at WalMart. And I recommend our Hancocks. Without WalMart competition, what will happen to this industry? We need competition to keep quality up and prices down. I'll hush.

Blessings,
mrspete
Old 04-30-2010, 04:47 AM

The phrase used here in the south is "job scared" . Textiles and furniture were our staples besides farms.
All are past industries. If you get a job, you are constantly worried that corporate will send word to give you the heeve-ho. Now I'll hush!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 AM

I leave our local Hancock's angry everytime I go. There is usually only 1 person cutting, and she usually has to check you out. Yesterday, I went to purchase the 40% off muslin (large type on flyer). Sale had begun yesterday. When I checked my bill later (higher than I anticipated), I realized that I had not been given my discount. I had specifically asked the sales assoc. if I had been given my discount, and she said that I had. She pointed out the discounted prices on the thread that I had bought. To make a long story short, I called and complained. I had my flyer with me but had not used it because I did not think that I would need it. After they realized how annoyed I was, they agreed to honor the discount. Means another trip to the store! I keep telling myself not to go back, but the sales draw me back.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 AM

Ladies, if you have noticed customer services are getting bad in many places.At our local Wal-Mart, it is hard to get checked out on some evenings.One Sunday evening, there was 15 of us and we had waited 15minutes, so I went to the desk and asked if tey had more help. They did send out another checker.I found out later, they had 3 girls call in but I've also leaned that they are not replace some of those who quit.That's their way of making up for some of the money they are loosing on sales.That plus getting rid of their fabric departments makes me think I may start driving to anoter town to do my shopping once a week.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I love my Hancock store! Everyone knows me by name and they are always polite to their customers.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 AM

We lost all three Hancocks in Orlando. Owners didn't seem to have the "stuff".
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM

I had a number of problems with Hancocks. Their attitude was that they were doing me a favor by letting me come in and then weren't nice. I finally had it and called the corporate office. The next day I got a call from the District Manager. She took action on the problem and has made a number of changes and it's much more pleasant to go in there now. Don't waste you time on e-mails. Often you get a canned reply that says they'll respond within 24 hours. Right! Just pick up the phone and call customer service. Hancock filed for either chapter 11 or 13 (don't remember which) and are reorganizing. They've closed a number of stores. Keep their feet to the fire!!!!! Let them know that if they want your business they'll have to work for it!