Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Will you be making your Christmas Gifts? >
  • Will you be making your Christmas Gifts?

• Will you be making your Christmas Gifts?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 PM

On New Years day I sat down and figured out what I needed for Christmas this year. 21 quilts of varying sizes. I have 12 of them done. That doesn't include the table runners, tree skirts and kitchen towels I want to make. I know, I'm nuts, but at least I planned for this year!
    Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM

In 1996, my husband was hurt on his job and became very ill. he was unemployed with very little income. We are firm believers in 'fix it up, wear it, make it do, or do without." to make a long story short we had a lot of financial challenges for about 4 years. All my birthday gifts and christmas gifts given to others were made on the sewing machine. My husband became extremely skilled at being a wood carver at the time, and all of his given gifts became hand carved. There is not one person i can think of that didn't appreciate the homemade, handmade gift. My husband started a folk art nativity set to send out to 10 of our closest friends and relatives. Every year for 5 years, he would carve 3-4 pieces and that would be the xmas gifts he gave out. At the end of the 5th year, the nativity set was complete for everyone, and you could see the beauty of the carvings as they became more detailed every year. When we visit friends and relatives each year during holiday time, we see my husband's artwork set out for display and i also see my sewing projects that I have made. Give me hand made, with love, any christmas time.
    Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 PM

I thought I would practice with new patterns and make potholders, placemats, mits, etc.; as well as practice maching quilting. Hopefully my small projects will turn out to be things I would like to give away for Christmas.
    Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM

I am going to make a reversible apron for each member of the family - 12 adults and 19 children. Even boys and men can or do cook. I am trying to use fabric for their personalities.
    Quilts are only made for those who graduate from high school or new babies. Three years ago I crocheted a lap afghan for each person = 29 at the time. Their favorite colors and different patterns. They were well received.
    Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM

I made aprons last year & everyone loved them. I put something cute in the pocket of each one. My grocer has a spice called "Everything Rub". I put a note on it that said "Use your imagination!"
    Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
    Banned

Last year I made our grandson a quilt, my granddaughter a crocheted afghan, and everyone got fleece scarves, my DD and SIl got a wall hanging, and DS and DIL got a glass etching of the Last Supper that I did.

THIS YEAR - granddaughter is getting a quilt, other grandson is getting a quilt, DD and SIL are getting a Glass etching of the Last Supper, and I'm making several other things for other people.
    Granddaughter's quilt top is already done waiting for me to sandwich and quilt it. Etching is done. The rest ---- it's only June!! AHHHHHHHHH! I need to get busy!

AND I'm sure I'll have orders for pin cushions, check book covers and mini storage cabinets ---- be sure to make your list and check it twice and get it to me in time!!! I'm already getting some orders in for Christmas gifts!

Happy Quilting everyone.
    Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM

I plan on making 2 quilts for my DGD.
    Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 PM

Yes,everyone still loves (I think) getting the quilts, wall hangings, totes. They also get books.
    Old 06-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Getting ready to start on them!!!!Place mats, hot pad holders, table clothes, tote bags, baby girl quilt, working on a heart quilt for my only living granddaughter. the 5 grandsons will also receive quilts.
    Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 PM

I will make some and buy some. I've done a cross stitch picture for my nephew's family and will add a few treats for the kids. It's already framed and in the closet. Hopefully I won't forget where! I've already crocheted a scarf and hat set for my great niece in orange, her favorite color. I will be making at set for my niece, her mom as well, but in a more neutral color. I'd like to make something for my great nephew but haven't come up with any ideas yet. It's not "cool" to wear a scarf if you're a 12 year-old boy! I usually bake dozens of cookies and make 3 or 4 different kinds of fudge that I give to friends and neighbors. I think they would protest if I decided to do something different this year. I will make items if I think they will be used and appreciated! Need ideas for males though.