Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
11 year old wants to quilt!! >

11 year old wants to quilt!!

11 year old wants to quilt!!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 AM

How about a rail fence? They are pretty easy but can look spectacular and have lots of scope for different layouts. Kudos to you for encouraging your daughter in this way. Here's hoping that it will be a lifelong passion and that you will have many years of quilting together ahead!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:45 AM

I think a rail fence would be perfect because it teaches sewing straight lines and you don't have to match the intersections perfect which will be good for a first quilt.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Ok girls, I asked my daughter what she wanted for her birthday thats coming up and she says "I want to be able to buy fabric that I like and you teach me how to make a quilt" :D I am so excited and ready to just leap right in, but I do have one question that I figured you gals would be able to help with. What is a newbies quilt pattern that doesn't look "too easy" She doesn't really seem interested in the charm quilts, so I would need something else. Thanks to all who can share this excitement with me and others who can help me with a pattern.
I felt the same way when my GD started at 11 - thrilled.
Kate, my GD, started with a one patch 2 1/2" squares; took her FOREVER and I think lost some of the fun for her as a result

I'd go with a 5" 9-patch turned into a Fractured 9-patch. She'd see the transformation - it's very easy, but doesn't look easy.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 AM

Why not start with a disappearing nine patch? My granddaughter (now 11) made one when she was eight years old (she picked out the colors) and won a blue ribbon for a doll quilt at a regional fair. Her sister (now eight) is making a snowball quilt. She graph designs her quilts and colors the graph before starting. Very meticulous. For the disappearing nine patch, make a block of nine patches, slice it both ways exactly in the centers and then rearrange the patches as desired. It looks like you have made strips, squares, etc. and is really easy. Gives a sense of accomplishment from the start. Have fun! Think it's great she wants to quilt. P.S. I give them gift cards from the LQS and take them (not too often, I can't afford it). Mostly they use my stashes.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 AM

Guess you and I are talking about the same block. My GDs really like the block. So do I. I'm all for simple ones. Right now I have to make 45 blocks for a family reunion remembrance quilt for the organizer. Decided to go with a string quilt with the white center strip large enough for a signature and/or message and the rest of the strips in scrappy crayon colors. Wish me luck!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
ok, I'm really liking the idea of the D9P, but the only problem is that I can't find a pattern using 3 colors. Does anyone know where I could find one? I am not the greatest at finding out how much fabric I need to make a quilt yet and would hate to not get enough of whatever she picks out. I'm hoping to make a throw, so not too big for her to loose interest, but big enough she can cuddle up with it when she's watching tv.
Her is a picture of a D9P that I made for my Mom for Mother's Day. I constructed it with:

Sunflower fabric at all four corners

Bees in the center of the top and bottom rows and on the outsides of the center rows.

Red in the center of the 9 patch.

I have also done one very similar to sewjean's which you can find here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42090-1.htm

Good luck! The D9P's are so much fun!

D9P with 3 colors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87936[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87931.jpe  
Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 AM

Choose a main color for the center patch, another for the four corner patches and a third for the remaining side patches. For example, a purple print for the center, green for the corner patches and a white for the remaining patches.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 AM

I used 5" blocks to make my 9 patches which made a 13" finished block. I arranged them 4 wide by 5 high and added a 1" (finished) border followed by a 3" (finished) border. This made a quilt approx. 60" x 73" which is a nice size for cuddling up to watch TV.

It went really fast. Although I have past sewing experience, I am a beginner quilter and this was really fun, quick and easy pattern.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 AM

What about turning twenty...think of the fun of selecting twenty different fabrics!
D in TX
Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 AM

My step-daughter came to a quilting day with me a few months ago...first time quilting. She made a place mat using the tube method. Just one block, but she had something FINISHED at the end of the day so was encouraged to come again. Now she wants to do a lap size quilt. No idea what pattern she plans to do, but she has the bug!!!

Patti