Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them >

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Old 07-02-2010, 04:12 AM

I have a bag of scraps that's about 3' tall, 2' wide & 1' deep... I keep think'n I'm gonna go through it w/my go cutter & salvage pieces. All I need is a day to be 48hrs long lol
Old 07-02-2010, 04:28 AM

The Shalom Zone in Buffalo, NY has a baler they put shredded and tiny scraps into. I believe this gets sent to Africa where they remake the contents into fabric. I'm sure there are other mission organizations that do this as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 AM

I just read all those really good comments and ideas, since I am a scrap saver too. Once I saw a gal on HGTV - Alex's show, and she sewed all her little pieces together in like color groups. The larger pieces she created then became the fabric for an applique such as a dove or flower, or as a larger quilt piece. The effect was quite artistic, and if I ever get "a round tuit" I'll post one that I make :) It's on my list of things to try-- Whenever and probably not soon!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 AM

Actually you can just toss them on a piece of tulle and add another piece of tulle on top and stitch on top of that and there you have created a piece of fabric to use.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:54 AM

I do battle with scrap guilt all the time. My mom raised us to not waste a scrap of fabric! I learned to put patterns pieces so close together there would always be something left - then I never knew what to do with it - and felt guilty getting rid of it! So, if I can easily find someone to take bits and pieces of leftover pojects, I do. If not, I just have TRIED to learn to grit my teeth and get rid of the scraps, or they will TAKE OVER my sewing room and I won't have room for good stuff!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:00 AM

I keep one medium garbage bag size for "snippets" work and another for stuffing for my two dogs. They love the beds. Also with scraps as stuffing, they are completely washable. That's what makes them so great for animal shelters.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD
Originally Posted by ctsgjs
I have a friend who kept all her snippets and tiny pieces. Then she'd pile a bunch of them up on her cutting board and go to town on them with the rotary cutter, slicing and dicing back and forth till they were all chopped up. She then filled half-pint jars, topped them with some type of decorative fabric under the ring, and label them "Quilt Jelly". They made great little gifts for her quilty friends.
This reminded me of a friend of mine that recently moved. She saved all her too small pieces. When she got enough she went to work cutting them on the cutting board and then fused them to double sided steam a seam and then to another huge piece of backing fabric and then layered it with (sorry I can't remember the name) colored wedding vail type netting and used it for a back of a quilt or wallhanging. It was different but kind of pretty.
It's called "Tulle".
Old 07-02-2010, 05:55 AM

Use them as fillers for pillows or toys or whatever. If you have no idea what you might do with them, donate them to a school or church or the goodwill.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 AM

Find a kid's summer program - they can use anything!
Detroit has Arts & Scraps
Old 07-02-2010, 07:05 AM

I donate the scraps that I don't want to a couple of places. My Mom's Laidie's Aide makes mission quilts out of 8 1/2 X 10 1/2 pieces, so I give them some of my larger scraps. Our local senior center does craft projects there and they have a group of ladies who make charity quilts. They don't want any thing smaller than 3" square though. Anything smaller than that, I don't have a problem throwing away as soon as it's cut off. I don't have room to store "ravelings".