Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them >

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I use them to stuff pillows too.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

how about donating to a school? I am sure they would love to have them.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I have been trying to find a use for all the trimmings I have left over, as well as some fiberfill from some pillows. I heard or read that animal places could use them, but have not had any luck finding a place. At what point do you just bit the bullet and pitch them? I have a box full of collars and cuffs, lots of trimmings from squaring up block, etc. Help!
I use pieces at least 1.5" square. A gal in my guild uses pieces 1" wide or wider, so I save them for her. I save selvedges and use them to tie up vines -- roses clematis, beans, and sweet peas. And the rest I toss. I barely have room for the thousand yards of fabric I have now.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

burn em
Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Make fabric postcards or greeting cards,use them for book covers, journal covers, or crumb blocks. Lay them on a backing that has wonder under or something similar on it and arrange the snippets in a pleasing way and then press them down with your iron. If you want to wash it, sew across all the snippets randomly with your sewing machine until all scraps are fastened down. Then use the fabric as you would any other fabric. Makes some interesting fabric to use in art quilts, postcards, etc.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by deedles215
Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I have been trying to find a use for all the trimmings I have left over, as well as some fiberfill from some pillows. I heard or read that animal places could use them, but have not had any luck finding a place. At what point do you just bit the bullet and pitch them? I have a box full of collars and cuffs, lots of trimmings from squaring up block, etc. Help!
Me thinks:

Take a big breath.
Maybe pour a glass of wine or two?
Open the trash.
Fondle the scraps a little.
Try not to cry.
Start dumping...
Rifle through, JUST IN CASE you missed a pretty.
Pull a few out to be starters for the next scrap bin.
Close the trash.
Open again in case another pretty wriggled it's way back to the top.
WALK AWAY!!!

:lol: :lol:

Seriously now: I think using for stuffing for animals, pillows, pincushions, etc. wouldn't be a bad idea.
Lol!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I use them for stuffing too. My dog loved hers. But she wasn't much of a chewer.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 AM

I donate my too small scraps to local schools for their art departments. The art dept. is always the first to get cut when the budget is tight and the teachers love me. I also give them empty egg containers, washed foam trays from meat, and any other ribbons or treasures from my sewing room. My kids were always artistic and the schools really appreciate the help.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM

I have a friend who kept all her snippets and tiny pieces. Then she'd pile a bunch of them up on her cutting board and go to town on them with the rotary cutter, slicing and dicing back and forth till they were all chopped up. She then filled half-pint jars, topped them with some type of decorative fabric under the ring, and label them "Quilt Jelly". They made great little gifts for her quilty friends.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM

I use up my scrap fabric to make greeting cards, book marks and frig magnets. I glue or sew the fabric to heavy card stock and ad other stuff like pieces of lace, beads, ribbon. feathers etc...etc. I sell them at craft shows and flea markets. By selling them I make money to pay for more fabric, notions, thread or what ever. My motto....waste not.......go green.