Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them >

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM

I use some small pieces for leaders and enders.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 AM

There is an organization in my area that makes "draft dodgers" for needy families. They sew the tubes of fabric and stuff with the snippets, size does not matter. Helps save on utilities. Guess if the dogs chew them, there is always need for more. LOL
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I have been trying to find a use for all the trimmings I have left over, as well as some fiberfill from some pillows. I heard or read that animal places could use them, but have not had any luck finding a place. At what point do you just bit the bullet and pitch them? I have a box full of collars and cuffs, lots of trimmings from squaring up block, etc. Help!
Me thinks:

Take a big breath.
Maybe pour a glass of wine or two?
Open the trash.
Fondle the scraps a little.
Try not to cry.
Start dumping...
Rifle through, JUST IN CASE you missed a pretty.
Pull a few out to be starters for the next scrap bin.
Close the trash.
Open again in case another pretty wriggled it's way back to the top.
WALK AWAY!!!

:lol: :lol:

Seriously now: I think using for stuffing for animals, pillows, pincushions, etc. wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I give it to the birds for nest. We got some pretty colorful nest out there.
Actually, fabric is not good for bird's nests because it takes too long to dry out after a rain, unlike straw and grasses. The babies can get sick from the damp -- pneumonia?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Sunkistme, who posts on this board, collects scraps to stuff cat beds for a shelter. The cat's bed goes with him/her when adopted to help adjustment to a new home. PM her for info.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Try Cindy Walters' SNIPPET SENSATIONS and MORE SNIPPET SENSATIONS: (This is from her page found using Google) In 1994, Cindy had the desire to “paint” on her quilts. Thus the birth of the contemporary technique, Snippet Sensations, (published November 1996 available from Amazon, etc.). The technique was immediately successful and swept the country. In 1998, Snippet Sensations won the PRIMEDIA Award of Excellence as the best publication in the USA in the sewing/craft/quilting category. She produced her Snippet Creations video in 1999.

In 2000, Cindy co-authored two books Fine Hand Quilting and Attic Windows Quilts with a View, both Krause Publications.

More Snippet Sensations was released October 2000, Krause Publications. It has over 20 step-by-step projects and boasts a large section on turning your snippet project into a quilt, and free motion machine quilting.

One of Cindy's favorite passions is painting fabric. This led her to co-author the Basic Guide to Dyeing & Painting Fabric with Jennifer Priestley in 2002.

If you like Historical patterns you love Basic Appliqué, co-authored with Gale Baker Rowe. It features 1930 patterns with Traditional and Contemporary Appliqué techniques.

You'll find her newest book very exciting. Contemporary Quilting, co-authored with Stevii Graves, features a summary of the Quilting Industry over the past 20 years, 10 step-by-step projects, and a huge, glorious gallery of contemporary quilts.

Cindy is the co-host of former show Quilt Central TV show with Janie Donaldson. She currently hosts specials and reports for Quilters TV. Go to www.Quilterstv.com, for free internet TV playing 150 shows at any one time. Other TV appearances include: America Sews - PBS; Kaye Woods’ Quilting Friends - PBS; Sew Perfect - HGTV; Simply Quilts - HGTV; Creative Corner- PBS, and Home Matters - Discovery channel.

Lectures and Workshops include: International Quilt Market and Festival, HIA, Road to California, Sew and Stitchery EXPO, International Quilt week ‘98 Yokohama Japan, New Zealand Quilt Symposium, Creativa Festival in Germany, Berlin Patchwork Symposium, Images 2000, Quilt Colorado and numerous guild shows.

Her newest adventure includes creating Painted Quilt Patterns. View more information about her Starburst and Poinsettia Christmas patterns at www.JWDPublishing.com. She has also created a new product on which to paint called Cindy Walter's Stabilized Cotton, made by Jacquard Products.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM

If they are all cotton and you are into being 'green' they can be used in your compost.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by kclausing
I like the idea of making a dog pillow out of them - use them as stuffing. Great Idea!!!
Everyone keeps mentioning this so I tried it with our dog. I even used some indoor/outdoor canvas to make it sturdier. Lasted about 3 days before the dog chewed through it. Once I cleaned up the mess I threw the whole thing away.
How funny, you would need to make sure your dog don't chew things up.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM

I keep anything that is ¾ inch wide or larger. Everything else gets tossed. The pieces that are ¾ inch get used in my string quilt, often I won’t do a ¼ seam on these, just keep the raw edge showing and pin down with a decorative stitch (I do them as a QAYG). Here’s an example of what I mean:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/...a41e634484.jpg[/img]

Rachel
Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Rachel, I kept those separate and really want to do one like yours. what I have are usually 1/4-1/2" wide and not the samewidth all through. Also, the collars and cuffs are short width, and would require more work than I want to do. Since I don't do pillows, stuffed animals, or things like that, I guess I will bite the bullet this time and toss. I recycle almost everything, so I don't feel really awful. Thanks for all your responses and ideas.