Scorpions!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:40 AM

I agree with RatherB Quilting, a good reason to live in a cold climate. I think I'd freak out if I saw one of those in my quilting room. Earwigs send me to the ceiling, hate them.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Yuck! I hate scorpions with a passion. I keep finding them in my house. I just found a live one in my sewing room. I can deal with spiders, roaches, flies anything but scorpions. And the bummer part, I just had the house sprayed last week....I guess they are trying to beat the heat just like the rest of us. 8-)
Be careful of those. My brother's granddaughter lives in Pheonix, AZ and she got stung by a scorpion and was in the hospital in intensive care for over a week with her life on the line. She was a child at the time, but I don't know if they are that dangerous to everyone.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Luckily no one in our house has ever been bitten. I just freak out at the sight of them. We find them all the time in the swimming pool. But when they start coming into the house, I really don't like it. :shock:
Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 AM

yuck! I have never seen one live -probably because I live in Oregon. And I am glad I have never seen one. How big are they? Can you squish them or are they too big? I guess it could be messy huh? When we were in Florida last there was a HUGE water cock roach in our room. It freaked my DD whose 16, it was slow I was fast and it made a big mess. I left it for the hotel staff it was in the entry area which was really big - yuck. I am ok with bugs for the most part they might creep me out but I can usually squish them without problem. BUT snakes I would be screaming and jumping on the closest table or tall object.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
I have seen one or two in the past, but not this many. The Bug guy told me it was because we had so much rain. He said they were trying to get to higher ground. But then when it is dry, he says that they are looking for water :-P I just wish they would stay outside......
You could flood your house that would keep them out. LOL just kidding!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Seems like we have them more in the fall of the year. I figure they are looking for a warm place during winter. Yes, they hurt like a ....when they sting you. The worst thing I have ever found in my house though was a copperhead.
Hubby was in the hospital and I was home alone when we met up with one another. Needless to say, I left the house in a hurry. Luckily for me, my daughter and sil came by later during the day and dd found the snake. Sil got him out of the house and killed it for me. I slept much better knowing it was gone. The only thing that caused me concern was knowing they usually travel in pairs.......
Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Am a native Arizonian for 50+ years.....transplanted to the Ozarks.....now just chiggars, spiders & snakes. We used to catch scorpins as kids, ya grab them by the tail :-) Have had them in my tub, bed, shoes and up your pants leg :-( If I remember right, it is the small dark colored one that can be very poisonous. New home additions usually have problems with scorpins, all the dirt work disturbs the nests...also the rattle snakes...big and little :-( Grew up in a adobe home and it seemed to be infested with scorpins, they even came out of the the cooling registers :-)
Old 08-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

If I saw a scorpion I'd freak out! I hate spiders and freak when I see those!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Lyn

Originally Posted by kristen0112
yuck! I have never seen one live -probably because I live in Oregon. And I am glad I have never seen one. How big are they? Can you squish them or are they too big? I guess it could be messy huh? When we were in Florida last there was a HUGE water cock roach in our room. It freaked my DD whose 16, it was slow I was fast and it made a big mess. I left it for the hotel staff it was in the entry area which was really big - yuck. I am ok with bugs for the most part they might creep me out but I can usually squish them without problem. BUT snakes I would be screaming and jumping on the closest table or tall object.
You would freak in the south. I know, I grew up in Oregon. Only have Banana slugs and daddy long legs. Scorpions can be the size of your finger tip(a baby) or 1/2 the size of your hand as we saw in El Paso. Tucson has desert cockroaches that are 3-4" long.(I swear they were a foot) One early morning my family was moving across country (military) and my husband and I were driving seperate cars. We stopped to fill up in Tucson. He felt something hit his shoulder. He looked over and all he could see was the antenea coming over his shoulder and he brushed it off. After I finished filling up the car he was laughing and said look up. I looked up, let out a scream and ran to the car and jumped inside. I would not come out. The ceiling at the gas station was crawling with them. Had I been filling up the car and it hit me the gas would have gone all over the station.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Know what you are talking about :lol: