I'm in pain!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
My left shoulder has been aching for months now. I can't lift it past just below shoulder high and can't sleep on my left side -- if I roll over to that side it wakes me up. I've started taking ibuprophen in the morning so I can move it without pain. Been putting off going to the doc because I don't want her to tell me to stop sewing so I just grin, take ibuprophen and bear it. :)
My shoulder pain sounds like yours too. I have the same symtoms. I also keep putting it off. But I think that mine may be from work also.
I had the same problems for quite a while and finally had it checked out when it seemed to suddenly get worse over a period of about 3 months.
Since I have fibro and a permanent neck and right shoulder injury, I was just thinking it was my usual pain from those things, but when it got so bad, I had it checked out.
What had happened was that a bone spur was impinging and tearing away at my rotator cuff every time I moved a certain way. Also, I had developed a severe bursitis and an exacerbation of my arthritis in general.
I just had surgery on my shoulder in July and the improvement is amazing. I have gone from a pain level in my shoulder of 7 or 8 down to a level of 3 most of the time. Unless I overdo it, lol, because I get impatient and want to do too much too soon.
Please don't ignore your pain, but go and get it checked. Often, they can repair so much of the damage that it is well worth the time and effort it takes to go thru the surgery and the physical therapy after.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM

if your maching is not in a table, go to wal-mart and get 2 large rubber door stops. place them under the back of your machine to tilt the back up. you will not have to hunch over to see what you are sewing. this really helps with aching neck,sholders and back.
phyllis nm
Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
I tend to hunch over my sewing machine and over the cutting mat when I'm measuring and cutting. Inevitably I end up with a sore back - right in the center. Oh well, frequent breaks give me time to check the forums!
That is where it gets me. And yes, I do the frequent brake thing, too. But after a day of sewing, my back is really sore and tired.
I can so relate! I do the same hunching my shoulders up to my ears! Dang it hurts. Bad habit that I am trying to break. I am a tense person anyway. Not fun.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Google Goddess

awesome!

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
If you have a CVS Pharmacy or a Walgreens nearby, get Cobroxin gel. Its a pain reliever and use it for 4 or 5 days and you will not beleve how much it will help. I am a firm believer. It also comes in a sublingual spray. I now use the spray maybe 3 times a day and am PAIN FREE for the first time in 7 years.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
if your maching is not in a table, go to wal-mart and get 2 large rubber door stops. place them under the back of your machine to tilt the back up. you will not have to hunch over to see what you are sewing. this really helps with aching neck,sholders and back.
phyllis nm
Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

I hope that it helps relive your pain. God bless.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Originally Posted by quilterj
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
My left shoulder has been aching for months now. I can't lift it past just below shoulder high and can't sleep on my left side -- if I roll over to that side it wakes me up. I've started taking ibuprophen in the morning so I can move it without pain. Been putting off going to the doc because I don't want her to tell me to stop sewing so I just grin, take ibuprophen and bear it. :)
My shoulder pain sounds like yours too. I have the same symtoms. I also keep putting it off. But I think that mine may be from work also.
I had the same problems for quite a while and finally had it checked out when it seemed to suddenly get worse over a period of about 3 months.
Since I have fibro and a permanent neck and right shoulder injury, I was just thinking it was my usual pain from those things, but when it got so bad, I had it checked out.
What had happened was that a bone spur was impinging and tearing away at my rotator cuff every time I moved a certain way. Also, I had developed a severe bursitis and an exacerbation of my arthritis in general.
I just had surgery on my shoulder in July and the improvement is amazing. I have gone from a pain level in my shoulder of 7 or 8 down to a level of 3 most of the time. Unless I overdo it, lol, because I get impatient and want to do too much too soon.
Please don't ignore your pain, but go and get it checked. Often, they can repair so much of the damage that it is well worth the time and effort it takes to go thru the surgery and the physical therapy after.

Yes that is what I am afraid of with my shoulder. My bil has had this surgery once or twice on his shoulder and now has to have it again on the same one. Therapy on the other and if that doesn't help then surgery on the other.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 AM

I've been visiting a chiropractor the past couple of months and wow has he made a difference! My family doctor said I had a torn rotator cuff but when the chiro adjusted me it stopped hurting and the range of motion was increased hugely! Stretching is so very important for our quilting "exercise"! :)
Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Dee

I got a new chair. Now I do my pain mgmt. at home. I don't hunch over the machine anymore. I use stop pain and it really works. Or the cool patches. But I won't stop sewing.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM

Well i guess its good that i am not alone :| The cortisone shot worked wonders, first one that i have ever had, no pain at all!! I am trying to watch and not over do it though.

Oh and i also LOVE my chiropractor, i visit every 2 weeks or so, she helps so much just keeping me adjusted.