Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 AM

Sounds to me you still have many stores to shop. More than I have available to me as well as others. I have never purchased fabric online. I want to see and 'feel' the quality of the fabric. There is no way to know the quality of the fabric when ordering online. I believe we should promote our local stores, or they will also go out of business.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 AM

Daisy Doodle
The Jo-Anns in my area (50 miles away) has slightly remolded and moved the quilting area to the front instead of the back, put a large cutting area for all fabric and you take a number to be waited on. I don't have any quilt shops in my town, but we do have a Hobby Lobby but like the Jo-Anns coupons to use to get better deals and better selection.
Hope they bring back your J-Anns
Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
RUMOR…. Some time back I heard that Wal Mart had bought JoAnne’s but would still be known as JoAnne’s Fabric??????????
One of the gals in my Joann's told me that when the Wal Marts closed their fabric dept. that Joann's bought all that fabric. Joann's is a large corporate business; can't see them selling to Wal Mart.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
We must be very lucky here. Our Joann's is expanding! They're doubling the size - will open on Oct 1! We also have 4 LQSs, Hancocks and our Walmart still carries fabric!
What part of Oregon?I live in Oregon and would love to check it out.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 AM

Hello from Spring (The Klein area). Katy has seemed to florish during the past few years. Sorry to hear JoAnn's is closing.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Our Joann's was set to close and people sent tons of emails and letters begging them to stay open. They are the ONLY shop here. Walmart did have fabric but don't anymore. There are no quilt shops, no Hobby Lobby, no Hancock's, etc. Only Joann's. They got so many letters they decided to stay open.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Joann's had 2 stores here Gainesville & lost the lease at one they said. They combined with the other store & said they were looking for land to build a bigger one!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 AM

They put a new Joann's Fabric and Craft in Fairview Heights, IL and it is so nice but the new employees are not friendly. And that's sad.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 AM

That is interesting! I live in So. MO and all the Wal-marts got rid of there fabric. I'm with you, finding it hard to beleive they would keep the name, except that Joann's has been around for a long time and is a known name. I sure hope that is true and they build a new Joann's close to me, cause I have to drive to St. Louis or Fairview Hgts, IL to find fabric and that's 2 1/2 hrs for me!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Susie B.
They put a new Joann's Fabric and Craft in Fairview Heights, IL and it is so nice but the new employees are not friendly. And that's sad.
There are two at ours that are horrible. They never smile, they're always crabby. It doesn't make me want to shop there, that's for sure. It's a shame because the others are so nice. There is a lady that I've known since before I got married and she's always friendly and there's another that is always really sweet to us.