Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cell Phone Use and Driving? >

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 PM
tmw

Originally Posted by Rhonda
My DH has been telling me he saw in the news that the state of Iowa is going to ban all cell phone use while driving. I went online and all I can find is that Iowa has banned all texting while driving. Anyone know anything about this?

Any comments on your feelings about cell phones used while driving are more than welcome. I don't usually do it. I usually stop and use the phone. It annoys me to have to answer the phone while driving as I feel like I am juggling to do it. But my
DD lives on her phone with 3 kids with medical issues and one of them is her autistic son. She can only be reached on her phone. She is always on the go. So it would be a hardship for her.
what did we do before Cell phones came along, ??? we all managed didn't we? we all had phones at home with all kinds of different ways to use it, i wish we still had them, and i think the phone companies have probably learned a lesson about charging too much.[i hate cell phones].
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM

My father used to say. "There's a time and a place for everything."

Using your phone while you are driving is both the wrong time and wrong place.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 PM

[quote]Personally feel that using a cell phone while driving is the same as drinking coffee while driving and eating a sandwich while driving.

It depends on your skill level. Beyond Drivers ed, hardly anyone uses the 10 and 2 position anyway.[quote/]

Sorry, but you are way off base. It has nothing to do with your skill leval. It has everything to do with your brain and concentration. As far as drivers ed, maybe if more folks like you had a different attitude about what they learned in drivers ed and were'nt so lax in their thinking, there would be less problems on the road. I took drivers ed over 38 years ago and to this day I can hear my teacher's voice telling us how to drive correctly and that it just might save a life. I have never had a ticket, caused an accident, or had a warning and am thankful for the way I was taught. When I went through police training, I used skills taught me in drivers ed and passed with flying colors. Now that was a test of 'skill'. I still don't trust the other driver to do the right thing.
The accepted positions depending on state you live, air bags in your vehicle, and your personal preference are 10-4, 9-2, or even 8-4. Most people do a hand over hand approach to turning the wheel. Our police instructors said the little old ladies had it right when gripping the wheel and moving the wheel through your hands. Wow, amazing the control you have.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by moonwolf23
My DH has been telling me he saw in the news that the state of Iowa is going to ban all cell phone use while driving. I went online and all I can find is that Iowa has banned all texting while driving. Anyone know anything about this?

Any comments on your feelings about cell phones used while driving are more than welcome. I don't usually do it. I usually stop and use the phone. It annoys me to have to answer the phone while driving as I feel like I am juggling to do it. But my
DD lives on her phone with 3 kids with medical issues and one of them is her autistic son. She can only be reached on her phone. She is always on the go. So it would be a hardship for her.
Personally feel that using a cell phone while driving is the same as drinking coffee while driving and eating a sandwich while driving.

It depends on your skill level. Beyond Drivers ed, hardly anyone uses the 10 and 2 position anyway.
Will you attitude change if you were hit by a person eating a sandwich or drinking coffee and texting at the same time?

Skill level has nothing to do with it. It is the distraction factor, and not keeping your eyes and mind on driving.
Oh please

No my attitude would not change. It is skill level. You are just as distracted by eating, drinking and fiddling with the radio. They did the same study with those things and found out that yes you do drive worse then people drunk.

If your on a highway, not bumper to bumper, it would be fine to talk on the phone. If your on a country lane, where you only had to worry about rampaging cows, fine as well.

It's called thinking about it.

Btw, I've had friends call me at night on their cellphones while their driving. They did it to be safer. It kept them from falling asleep to the hypnotic sound of the wheels.

You are never going to have perfect driving conditions, what is distracting to one person isn't distracting to another. For instance I find total silence to be annoying as all get out and need some music to help me concentrate while I drive. If I'm in a stressful situation I can't listen to hard rock, and need something quieter.

And what makes hands free so much better then having the cell phone in your hand? Your just as distracted by the conversation. You just have one more hand.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cynde
Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk

While I feel for the hardship she may endure. A hands free device is what is needed. They have a system where the phone is heard through the speakers maybe that is an option for her. I carry a cell phone, but mine has an ear piece. I detest seeing drivers texting or talking while driving. I now have a permanent steel cage around my cervical spine because some lady was gabbing away while driving and rear ended me.
It only takes a minute to pull over and talk.
The problem with blue tooths, is it automatically answers. You can't screen the darn calls. I personally would rather have more control over it.

Not to mention they are expensive.
I have a blue tooth, it was not expensive, and doesn't answer automatically. I have to tell it to answer, true I cannot check caller ID, but if I'm in heavy traffic and don't want to talk to anyone I don't tell it to answer.

BC went hands free last January, and actually just did a study that showed accidents have gone up, because people are holding their phones lower to text, so no-one can see them use it. The law is a good one, it's the people breaking the law that are causing more problems.
The last time I used a blue tooth it automatically answered, good that they changed that. It was a personal grrr for me.

I dont' get the whole texting while driving part. I mean sure if your in bumper to bumper traffic which isn't moving at all, ok. Nothing more irritating and boring then sitting in a highway turned to a parking lot, but unless your a passenger who the hecks texts while driving?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 PM

My best friend's daughter lost her 22-year-old fiance last year when he went through a stop sign and t-boned a pickup, while distracted by texting.

And yet, the daughter STILL texts while driving.

It's insane.

Hands-free phone calls have been proven such a distraction that it is as or more dangerous than drunk driving.

When you're on the phone, whether hands-free or holding the handset, your entire focus is on the conversation - regardless of driving skill. We've been trained to focus on the discussion, and that's what we do.

I really wish they'd hurry up and get into production those automated cars that you program in the route, they do all the driving, sensing the traffic around you, keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front and following those silly rules of the road that would keep us arriving alive at our destination if we weren't in such a rush to get everywhere and do everything.

Gasp - whew! Better step off my soap-box :)
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM

you all crack me up. may your travels be safe.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Ok, here are some more pics.
By the way, there is a new hand position- left hand on the wheel right hand on the phone.

my ds's truck and distance and skids
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110317[/ATTACH]

truck and trailer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110318[/ATTACH]

Her car several hundred feet down the road.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110319[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-110312.jpe   attachment-110313.jpe   attachment-110314.jpe  
Old 10-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Hubsy and I got rid of our cell phones due to economic reasons, and also, we HAVE to have a land line due to being a Certified Family Home for our daughter. 911 calls immediately/automatically send out a policeman to the address when the call comes from a land line,should we or she ever need to call and are unable to give the address. 99% of the time I love not having the "ball and chain" on me all the time. There have been a few occasions when it would have been nice to have a phone handy, but not life or death necessary.

I think phone use AND texting should be banned while driving.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Today a 12 y/o boy rode his bike (yes, bike) right into the side of DH's car while talking on a cell phone on his bike--Yes his bike!! What does a 12 y/o have to talk about that's so important? Thank God he wasn't hurt but parents are not happy about repair bill for the damage to my dh's front fender. If this child is this careless now, God help us all when he gets his drivers' license.
I've seen too many maimed and hurt people from people who are talking on cell phone, eating, and drinking while driving that I hope they enforce these new laws. If you can't stop idiots, hit them in the wallet.