Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are these? >

what are these?

what are these?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I have the same cabinet...It belonged to my best friends Mom. When they were going to move to Nevada a couple of years ago, Ruth(her Mom) took me aside and said I won't let her sell this....this is from me to you.
I miss her, but think of her often. Her sewing cabinet sits next to my computer to hold some papers. Too bad that one of the drawer pulls is broken.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by gsbuffalo
I was given a sewing cabinet yesterday with all the items in it and came across these and have no idea what they are or what they are used for. haven't seen anything like them before and everything in the cabinet was sewing related so just wandering if I have a new tool to use or what. thats for any help.
Looks like shoe ? They were put in shoes to help them keep their shape. I haven't seen any of those for years.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Yep definitely shoe lasts...I have some somewhere...for keeping the shape of a good pair of shoes.

The cabinet is very sweet...should polish up nicely.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam
I agree..I think they are shoe stretchers.
That's what they look like to me too.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM

I was surprised to see that cabinet...I have one. I don't remember how I came to have it. 2 people said they had one of these cabinets with sewing machines in them.....um, where would you put a machine in there? I'm confused. Interesting to learn a bit about this small piece of furniture.

I keep my serger thread spools in the deep side sections. Why is it such a coveted piece? Is it valuable?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by freezeframe03
I was surprised to see that cabinet...I have one. I don't remember how I came to have it. 2 people said they had one of these cabinets with sewing machines in them.....um, where would you put a machine in there? I'm confused. Interesting to learn a bit about this small piece of furniture.
I had one of the larger ones with a machine in it. It looks like the small one, but where it looks like drawers, it is a fake front. It pushes back so you can sit there. The lid lifts to the left and the machine pops up. I have the small one, but sold the large one -wish I hadn't now because they match.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal
I had one of the larger ones with a machine in it. It looks like the small one, but where it looks like drawers, it is a fake front. It pushes back so you can sit there. The lid lifts to the left and the machine pops up. I have the small one, but sold the large one -wish I hadn't now because they match.
Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal
Thanks.
You're welcome.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:00 PM

They look like shoe stretchers. You put them in to hold the shape.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I would say they are strechers. Either for blocking stockings or slippers that were crocheted or knitted.