Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have their scissors sharpened? >

Anyone have their scissors sharpened?

Anyone have their scissors sharpened?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM

I had my Gingher's sharpened and they are just like new. Had a lot of my smaller ones done too when a man came to the quilt shop close to me. He did a really good job on them.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM

There is a gentleman in Texas known as "the scissors guy " who goes to shows and does this. he did an excellet job on everypair I took him from old and cheap to gingher and expensive.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM

My LQS offers this service. However, they send them out. It was relative inexpensive but I was without those scissors for about a week. Do you have any back up scissors?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Send Ginghers back to the company. They'll come back like new. Most local sharpeners are wonderful, but before I would trust my Ginghers to them, I would have them sharpen scissors I didn't value so much.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by shequilts
I have some wonderful Gingher scissors that are beginning to dull. Has anyone had theirs professionally sharpened? I've heard that, like a knife, they will not hold an "edge" well after sharpening. Does anybody know? There is a man who comes to our local Hancock's once a month.
As you can see, I'm very protective about my toys.
This is not true if they are done correctly. My DH keeps my scissors sharpened and he does a wonderful job. He also took a pair of my smaller Fiskars and shortened the blades to about 1" in length and put a new edge on them. They are terrific for cutting rag blankets. He says with short blades and a long handle you don't have to squeeze the handles together very hard to get a lot of force applied to the blades. Whatever the reason, it really works. He also sharpens scissors for the members of our quilt guild.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM

You can't go wrong if they are sharpend by a professional. Off course they will alway go dull again. Nothing stays sharp forever, even us unfortunately.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 PM

After buying my third pair of Ginghers in 5 years, I decided to take the neighborhood barber up on his offer to include them when he has the shops scissors sharpened. They came back like new!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by redvette54
I'm a pet groomer, so I have shears sharpened all the time. If the person doing the sharpening isn't a professional, your shears could be ruined. I've used the same company for many years and very happy with his work. Ask questions, I won't have anyone do my shears, if they do lawn mower blades too.
Wish I had read this before I had mine sharpened. Took them to a 'tool sharpener' as I live in a small town in central FL and we have NO traveling sharpening service that I'm aware of that comes here and offers scissor sharpening. I've replaced those original scisssors and when a pair gets dull, I just get another pair. I hate wasting the money, but a half tank of gas to go and come to the nearest JoAnn's doesn't make sense either.

Josi in FL
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I have some wonderful Gingher scissors that are beginning to dull. Has anyone had theirs professionally sharpened? I've heard that, like a knife, they will not hold an "edge" well after sharpening. Does anybody know? There is a man who comes to our local Hancock's once a month.
As you can see, I'm very protective about my toys.
Gingher have a sharpening service for their own brand of scissors.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 PM

I ALWAYS send my Ginger's back to the factory. Some of the others just butcher them. I send my Cutco kitchen knives back to the factory, also. Have a whole set and they are 47 years old and perfect. It usually about $3.00. I have taken them to the Houston Show and they have several guys there, but usually don't take my Gingers.

Peggy