Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Cabbage Rolls >
  • Cabbage Rolls

• Cabbage Rolls

Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 AM

Wish I had Mom's recipe for stuffed peppers. She made hers in the Presto for many yrs also the best pot roast with veggies,beef stew etc.BTW,she called her PC "the Presto" :-)

I love my pressure cookers & do stuffed peppers (with cooked filling) for about 2 minutes at full pressure; turns out perfect. Have often wondered about doing cabbage rolls so was very glad to see your entry. Looking forward to your answer. Thanks![/quote]
    Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 AM

I put everything in the cooker and then I add the can of tomato soup to the top of the cabbage rolls and then I pour 2 cups of water on the top of that.They are so darn good!!
    Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
    Wish I had Mom's recipe for stuffed peppers. She made hers in the Presto for many yrs also the best pot roast with veggies,beef stew etc.BTW,she called her PC "the Presto" :-)

I love my pressure cookers & do stuffed peppers (with un -cooked filling) for about 2 minutes at full pressure; turns out perfect. Have often wondered about doing cabbage rolls so was very glad to see your entry. Looking forward to your answer. Thanks!
    [/quote]
    Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
    In order for my mom to stretch the cabbage rolls for our family of 6, she made her cabbage rolls with more rice than meat. She would cook the rice and meat, mix it up, and stuff. Through the years I have made mine with far more meat, little rice, and lots of cooked onions. The rice and meat are raw and I find that the stuffing stays firmly together this way. As the cabbage rolls cook, the stuffing cooks too and the result is a nice firm little roll of stuffing. Yum.
    That's how I like my filling too, and how my Mom made cr all the time too, I don't care for all that rice or sauerkraut, guess maybe that's why I like them that way... partly a feel good feeling maybe too.
    Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
    Saturday night found us in church with the aroma of cabbage rolls wafting up from the hall below. The ladies (and maybe even a few gentlemen) were making the cabbage rolls for the upcoming Christmas Bazaar. This got my husband to thinking that I should be making some rolls soon but never in all my years have I found a fool proof method of getting nice pliable cabbage leaves for my cabbage rolls. Some say: boil the stuffing out of the leaves, freeze the cabbage, boil it whole, rip off leaves one at a time and then boil them, use really green cabbage, use savoy cabbage, and on and on. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and seriously considered. I'm ok with my filling and my cooking method but those darn leaves are a challenge.
    Hi,
    I've been making these since I can remember.

I core the cabbage really well then place it in a pot of hot water letting it cook until the core area is tender to the fork but not mushy, roll it over and let the leaf area soften a bit. roll it over again and with a two prong fork or a set of tongs remove the leaves. when they become hard to pull off roll the head over again to let that area soften. when the core area gets raggedy place the two pronged fork in the center of the core and with a small sharp knife dig in and around the core area--you don't have to remove it- you just want to release the leaf from the core. when you've removed 2/3 to 3/4 of the leaves remove the remaing head of cabbage and let it sit to drain and cool. do not throw away the cabbage water.
    Now, place a leaf on the palm of you hand upside down- as if you're going to fill it--see that large fat rib ?? that's the part that won't roll well-so you trim it off by sliding a sharp paring knife between the leaf and the rib. You're not cutting it out just shaving a good section of it off. Do not throw them away. line the bottom of the pot so that the caggage rolls sit on them. we also chop up or slice the head of cabbage that's too little to use for anything else. we also add the sliced cabbage between the layers of cabbage rolls. Now the good part. after you've layered the rolls in the pot and added the soup/sauce to the rolls- use the cabbage water to fill to the top of the pot. Oh my mouth is watering --Now I have to make some of these.

My filling:
    I saute onions in butter, cool then add to the raw chopped meat add a few eggs, salt and pepper, rinsed raw rice and several large spoonsful of the water that the cabbage is softening in. that's it!! the amount of rice I had depends on how much meat is on hand. I look at the mix to make sure that I see a good amount of white specks. I also use Campbells Tomato soup much better than tomato sauce.
    Old 11-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Oh man! You guys are killing me here. My stomache is growling now. Guess I better make some tomorrow. With my lick, DH and DD will say they don't care for them. Goodie, more for me.
    The filling sounds just about like what I use in my cooked green peppers. Since I love that mix, I will use it in the rolls.
    Thanks again for a great recipe.
    Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 AM
    Power Poster

I love cabbage rolls