Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilts >

Mystery Quilts

Mystery Quilts

Old 10-22-2010, 08:30 AM

I have always loved the concept of a mystery quilt. My first, and only one so far, was by Debbie Caffey called Guilty as Charged. I was pleased with my colors and that was it. It was themost difficult thing I've ever done and turned into my first UFO.

I still like the idea of them. I found a couple online that were table runners that I want to try. The hardest thing for me was all the flying geese units in mine because all the triangles were cut before pieced. I like making mine with squares and rectangles as it's just easier to do it that way. I think I want to get better at piecing and become more an intermediate quilter instead of a beginner before I try another one.

Maybe, if I see that things will be flying geese units, I can make them differently instead of the hard way. I don't know.

Most of the ones I've seen are beautiful. I kept all the pattern pieces and hope to try again on it someday.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 AM

I'm doing one right now, and it has been a LOT of work. I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with it when it's finished. Furthermore, my husband and I are taking an extended trip this winter, and so I'll miss the last installment of instructions until I get back. It was a contest, and so I'll finish the quilt, but miss the end of the contest.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM

I have participated in mystery quilts. I love them. I do have a hard time picking fabric though. If you do it through a quilt shop or online if you ask for advise on the type of fabric to pick - they are usually really good helping you out- because they know the final product.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM

I have done several, one I liked the others I didn't! The one I liked was a Debbie Caffrey one, it was well-written with lots of good info about fabric choices. The colors did not go together well on the other one. I have no desire to do another mystery quilt, but if I did, I would make sure it was a Debbie Caffrey one!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 AM

I did one at a quilting retreat and hated every minute of it beginning with selecting the fabric. I am a visual person and have to see the end product to make it work. Not my "cup of tea"
Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Take a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. One Guild I am a member of has Mystery Quilt sew days where we are given fabric requirements and cutting directions ahead of time and meet to do the sewing, step by step, and have a pot luck luncheon. I usually have to rest up the next day from all the laughing and joking we do.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:12 PM

I have done two mystery quilts. The first one through a quilt store and i was very happy with the results. The second through a member of our guild and not too impressed. Probably not much help, huh.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Just finished a mystery quilt off of quiltville.com and I love it, but I started it after it was revealed. I wish I would have made it a little smaller, because it is huge!!! She is doing another one starting on November 1st, but again, I am going to wait until it is revealed, because she makes nothing smaller than a queen, and I don't really want to make another queen sized quilt
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95254.jpe  
Old 10-22-2010, 04:25 PM

I like to know what the thing is going to look like before I start it. Materials are too expensive in Australia to take pot - luck.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 PM

I have made a couple mystery quilts. Infact I will be doing antoher one in January. I enjoy them as you don't know what the quilt will look like until the class is almost over. Its always fun to see what everyone has picked out for their fabrics and how it goes togeather.

Do one you will have fun and if you don't like it you can always give it away.