Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cabbage & Noodles >

Cabbage & Noodles

Cabbage & Noodles

Old 11-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by trisha
Ooh yeah pork and homemade potato dumplings. Burning the fingers trying to shape the dumplings!!! Just hoping and hope they don't turn into potato water!!! And fresh sauerkraut, a jar of applesauce and some brown sugar. MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trisha, My Mom cooked more Hungarian then polish--similar-more spicy- but she made potato dumplings and never taught me or wrote down the recipe--She never wrote anything down- all in her head! Do you have a recipe for Potato Dumplings that you are willing to share? Anne
I don't know how your mom made her potato dumplings, but this is how our family does it:

1 cup cold, unseasoned mashed potatoes made without milk
3/4 - 1 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all until well mixed and a stiff dough forms. It may be a little sticky. Add more flour if necessary. Cook a test dumpling by pinching off a spoonful of dough and dropping it into boiling salted water. It should hold its shape and not fall apart. If it disintegrates, add more flour and test again.

When satisfied with the dough, shape one of 2 ways:

1) shape into balls about 3/4" -1" in diameter; or,
2) roll into rod shapes about the diameter of your finger or a pretzel rod, then cut into 1" lengths.

Drop into boiling salted water. When water returns to a boil, reduce heat slightly and boil the dumplings gently for 10-12 minutes. They will rise to the surface. To test for doneness, cut one in half. There should not be any raw dough in the center. If necessary, cook a little longer.

At this point, you may use them however you like, mixed with another dish or served with gravy from a post roast, a fricasee or a paprikash.

One good old German way is to mix them wth buttered bread crumbs sauteed until browned. They are a wonderful accompaniment to any meat dish that does not have a gravy.

I'm sorry this recipe is not very exact, but it came from mom, who got it from her mom, who learned it from her mom in Germany. It was never written down either.

I'll be anxious to see if Tricia posts her recipe and see if it's different from mine.
Oh Thank you so much, I will definitely try this recipe. This sort of reminds me of the way I make fishcakes. Leftover mash potatoes, grated onion, eggs, cooked, flaked codfish,some flour, mix it all together, dip in egg then breadcrumbs and fry on both sides, flipping carefully. they are so good. If we keep this up we can have an Old Fashioned Cooking for Quilters by Quilters Cook Book. :-P :-P Anne
Old 11-14-2010, 06:06 PM

When growing up in West Virginia,we called the homemade noodles hound dog ears.I love them.I have never tried them with cabbage though.That is a thought.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Ooh yeah pork and homemade potato dumplings. Burning the fingers trying to shape the dumplings!!! Just hoping and hope they don't turn into potato water!!! And fresh sauerkraut, a jar of applesauce and some brown sugar. MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trisha, My Mom cooked more Hungarian then polish--similar-more spicy- but she made potato dumplings and never taught me or wrote down the recipe--She never wrote anything down- all in her head! Do you have a recipe for Potato Dumplings that you are willing to share? Anne
I don't know how your mom made her potato dumplings, but this is how our family does it:

3/4 - 1 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all until well mixed and a stiff dough forms. It may be a little sticky. Add more flour if necessary. Cook a test dumpling by pinching off a spoonful of dough and dropping it into boiling salted water. It should hold its shape and not fall apart. If it disintegrates, add more flour and test again.

2) roll into rod shapes about the diameter of your finger or a pretzel rod, then cut into 1" lengths.

Drop into boiling salted water. When water returns to a boil, reduce heat slightly and boil the dumplings gently for 10-12 minutes. They will rise to the surface. To test for doneness, cut one in half. There should not be any raw dough in the center. If necessary, cook a little longer.

At this point, you may use them however you like, mixed with another dish or served with gravy from a post roast, a fricasee or a paprikash.

One good old German way is to mix them wth buttered bread crumbs sauteed until browned. They are a wonderful accompaniment to any meat dish that does not have a gravy.

I'm sorry this recipe is not very exact, but it came from mom, who got it from her mom, who learned it from her mom in Germany. It was never written down either.

I'll be anxious to see if Tricia posts her recipe and see if it's different from mine.
Whoa, whoa whoa. Is this the recipe for potato Gnocchi? I had a friend who was a chef and traveled ALL OVER THE WORLD cooking. When he got bored he moved on to another country. He made Gnocchi (potato) for me one time and I'll NEVER forget that lovely texture and flavor!!! He served it in a butter sauce - - to die for.

Is this it?????????????
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
sounds wonderful! i use sour cream when making home made noodles, or "sliders" is what my grandma called them. thicker noodle i guess!
i am think fried cabbage, with some crumbled bacon in it?!

i have to try this!
I recently have been craving and looking for this recipe that mom used to make. And I remembered the bacon sprinkles as she called them. Yum! I know what I am picking up next grocery trip. Thanks for the fond memories. Funny how some things, even foods just make you smile!
:-D
Old 11-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Yes KAREN - they're also call Gnocchi (no-key) - or potato dumplings.

I grew up on them and LOVED them with butter/crumbs. Melt the butter - throw in the bread crumbs and toast lightly - add the cook dumplings - Yummmmmy!

If you make extra - after cutting freeze them on a floured baking sheet till frozen - then toss in a bag for future use. Adjust cooking time accordingly.

I think it would be a GREAT idea to have Thanksgiving dinner with all this traditional food. Seems like we have good food in common too!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 PM

the bread crumbs and butter deal I love on Plum dumplings, dumpling dough(not potato) and you place a blue plum in the center and seal your dumpling so no juice come out. mmmmm lots of butter and sugar and bread crumbs over (peaches are good with them too.)
Old 11-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Yes KAREN - they're also call Gnocchi (no-key) - or potato dumplings.

I grew up on them and LOVED them with butter/crumbs. Melt the butter - throw in the bread crumbs and toast lightly - add the cook dumplings - Yummmmmy!

If you make extra - after cutting freeze them on a floured baking sheet till frozen - then toss in a bag for future use. Adjust cooking time accordingly.

I think it would be a GREAT idea to have Thanksgiving dinner with all this traditional food. Seems like we have good food in common too!
WOW!!!! Awesome. Boy-O am I going to try this. Thanks EVER so much for posting.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 PM

Okay, we make our potato dumplings with HOT potatoes. When I used to watch my mother make them she would always burn her fingers. When I first got married I followed her instructions and yes burned my fingers too. The first time I made them after all that work (no did not add enough flour) we had the family over and yes, poor things turned into potato water. I was mortified!!! But as the years went by I perfected the recipe and found a way not to burn myself. Then my kids decided they didn't like them!! Go figure!! Don't make them anymore, not worth the effort. But maybe after all this talk about them I will make them just becuz!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM

I want to write and say I had some left over cabbage and saw your recipe and thought Oh good, we like cabbage and MDH love noodles.
So I cooked some Italian sausage on the grill then sliced it and added it to my cabbage and noodles. It was very good and I am sure I will make it again. I think you could even use left over chicken or what ever tastes good.
Thanks for the recipe I have all ready shared it with my friends.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by kathome

3/4 - 1 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Whoa, whoa whoa. Is this the recipe for potato Gnocchi? I had a friend who was a chef and traveled ALL OVER THE WORLD cooking. When he got bored he moved on to another country. He made Gnocchi (potato) for me one time and I'll NEVER forget that lovely texture and flavor!!! He served it in a butter sauce - - to die for.

Is this it?????????????
Yes, I believe so, but Italian gnocchi is shaped differently and is not served with buttered bread crumbs. There are so many nationalities that make the same food with slight variations but under different names. I guess it depends on what you do with them after they are cooked, but after all, a dumpling is a dumpling is a dumpling - and good!