Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows..... >
  • Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

• Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 AM

Ok I have to say I too appreciate the art type quilts but I don't have any desire to make one and I do think they should not be in any way judged next to "traditional quilts" Like my bud GaiGai says we are comparing Rapsberries and Apples. I would be very sad to see the demise of traditional quilts in quilt shows. That is my first love and I do see a swing in the shows I have been to. I have seen (in Hershey) a hand quilted quilt whose tag said machine quilted and it made me very sad indeed.
    Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Maybe the problem is that not enough traditional quilters are entering the shows.
    I think this is the main reason why we seem to have more art quilts in exhibitions than traditional quilts. Our German Patchwork Guild organizes a travelling exhibition here every third year and more than 75% of the entries are art quilts or of a modern or innovative style. The jury always tries to find a balance of both but it seems to be impossible! This fact brought me to enter a traditional wholecloth wall hanging there and I'm very curious if the jury will accept it.
    Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Honestly, there are very few "art" quilts that I personally like. The talent and creativity are there and I admire that, I just don't care for the style.
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM

Okay, lets all make traditional quilts and enter them in the shows, if they are good quality workmenship,pleasent to the eye, everything done correctly,maybe they will be highlighted and win a prize. Start a new wave of excitmentin traditional quilts.
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM

If you want to see traditional pieced quilts, come to Anthony, Kansas for our quilt show April 16 next year!
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:34 AM

I don't think that's it. I think we know they're all made with love. I just think that different types of work need different categories for judging. I, too have noticed a trend towards LA'ing and art quilts. There's nothing wrong with them, but I think, for example, there should be different categories for hand-quilted, machine-quilted, LA'd and LA'd with the computer assist (sorry I don't know it's technical name). They're just different skill sets, and should be judged accordingly, IMHO. Same thing with traditionally pieced quilts vs. applique vs. art quilts vs. thread painting.

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by jljack
    ....I am starting to wonder if eventually the traditional pieced quilts won't make it into any of the quilt shows. Really, there are so many art quilts and fewer and fewer traditional. Lately all the big prizes, Best of Show, Best Quilting, etc. seem to go to art quilts.

I don't think I am very happy about this trend. And this is just MY opinion!
    Well, having just gone to the biggest quilt show in the world, I have to respectfully disagree. There were lots of art quilts, sure, but there were also lots of traditional quilts too. And as I remember it, there were more traditional big winners as "art" quilts. There were a lot of embellished traditional quilts, but they were still pieced.

And there is another thread about prize-winning hand quilted winners at the show.

But some of you sound like my mother who told me that "Quilts that are made by machine aren't made with love like ones made by hand". My response to that was "Well, clothes that are washed in a machine aren't washed with love like clothes that are hand washed and beat on rocks in the river, and you'll NEVER get another quilt from me".
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM
    Power Poster

I saw many pieced quilts at Paducah last year. Not many won ribbons so weren't posed as much as the ribbon winners. Quilt shows judges seem to be looking for innovative made quilts. Sharon Schamber, the best of show winner in about every show she enters always has a new Wow factor in her quilts. This year the quilt sections were held together with weaved piping. Last year's Best of Show quilt had no pieces at all, just thread used to look like piecing.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM

I think some of us have got a little lazy and don't want to hand quilt since the longarm came out. I really congratulate a quilter who has both hand pieced and hand quilted a quilt. As for longarm quilting, some quilts have been quilted to death. Need more appreciation for us hand piecers and hand quilters. I don't really care for some of the art quilts. Some of them look stupid and crazy. Not like grandma use to make.
    Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 AM

I believe that the art quilts are truly amazing, but they are works of art and not really a quilt that would ever be used. So I guess I am saying that art is art and quilts are quilts and not necessarily are they the same thing.
    Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    The Houston Quilt show had tons of embellished and artistic quilts. Although they are beautiful I am old fashioned and would like to see shows with traditional quilting. They are even using Swarvorski chrystals to embellish with now.
    Ditto to you Debbie, I admire the artistic ability to transform fabrick into a dimentional picture. The love that goes into a pieced quilt just really makes me happy! Sorry we missed each other at the show, maybe another time.