Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Quilters - When do you quilt? >
  • Hand Quilters - When do you quilt?

• Hand Quilters - When do you quilt?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:14 PM

I quilt in the morning, I quilt in the afternoon and also in the evening...at the moment I'm a full time quilter and at the weekend I offer handquilting workshops! It's the best time in my life...
    Old 12-04-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm retired so after breakfast and daily house chores (which are few), I quilt unless I have errands. I may or may not have lunch, then I quilt. Hubby comes home, I do supper & dishes, and then I quilt until bedtime. No room left for guilt. :)
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM
    pal

Guilt is such a wasted emotion

We've all paid our dues, so quilt when you want to quilt, for as long as you want to!
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by grammyjo
    I'm a hand quilter and love it. But for some reason, I only quilt in the evening, while watching TV. Quilting in the daytime makes me feel guilty, like I should be doing some "housework" thing. I do piecing, cutting and all the rest during the day and that feels OK. But sitting, relaxing and quilting (just like reading a book), only happens in the evening. So I'm anxious to know when you quilt.
    I only hand quilt in the evenings in my favourite armchair. It is my relaxation time, TV in the background. Any cutting, machine work I do during the day - I never machine sew in the evening times.
    Old 12-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I quilt in the morning, I quilt in the afternoon and also in the evening...at the moment I'm a full time quilter and at the weekend I offer handquilting workshops! It's the best time in my life...
    Lucky you, oh how I wish I could do that RIGHT NOW !
    Old 12-04-2010, 06:23 PM

I do not have the frames here at home to use for hand quilting. I belong to TWO hand quilting groups. We are all retired and all but two are widows. We quilt Tuesdays and Fridays. Usually all day. We make lunch and spend the day quilting and enjoying good fellowship. I have been a member of these two groups for about 3years.

Happy Quilting to everyone on this board
    joyplace
    Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 PM

One of my "mom tricks" is to quilt after my kids got home from school. I have a big comfy rocking near the frame. I found that they would sit down and really talk to me. It works now when my grandkids come to visit too. Other than that, I quilt when the mood strikes. It won't take that much time to do the dishes etc. They will wait. Quilt is my therapy.
    Old 12-04-2010, 07:41 PM

I work 10 hrs night shift and once my work is done i hand sew a little then i sew while listening to tv :), and on week end after the house work is done i will hand sew while enjoying a cup of tea on a nice day i take everything outside and hand sew outside while DH work in the garden, or in his garage potting around:) and then i hand sew when ever i get a chance i am doing a grand mother quilt and imagine i have to hand sew about 1000 hexagons or more!!
    Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 AM

I am exactly like you - I start work really early so have afternoons/evenings free and if I have any picing to do by machine thats done in the afternoons (most of my work is by hand though
    Originally Posted by grammyjo
    I'm a hand quilter and love it. But for some reason, I only quilt in the evening, while watching TV. Quilting in the daytime makes me feel guilty, like I should be doing some "housework" thing. I do piecing, cutting and all the rest during the day and that feels OK. But sitting, relaxing and quilting (just like reading a book), only happens in the evening. So I'm anxious to know when you quilt.
    Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
    I feel the same as you. I don't usually sit down to stitch until the housework is done or I feel guilty. Usually in the evenings is when I quilt.
    I'm sorry, but I just can't understand this concept. Housework is NEVER done. :wink: Perhaps I need to develop a little more of the guilt.