Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Use Cotton Fabric only question >

Use Cotton Fabric only question

Use Cotton Fabric only question

Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 PM

I have used blends for years. They are wonderful because they fade less, they are strong and frequently their colors are more vibrant than pure cotton.

I had no idea that my 65 percent cotton, 35 percent polyester was offensive to "real quilters" until I joined quilt guilds. Despite their horror, I continue to use whatever fits into the quilt I'm making and sometimes I use 100 percent cotton and blends in the same quilt.

To tell the truth, I think some quilters have what I call a Hyacinth Bucket complex about fabric! Use those blends! They will be wonderful.

FroggyinTexas

P.S. Hyacinth Bucket is a character on one of the British comedies broadcast by PBS stations. The program is called "Keeping Up Appearances."
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
Or you could use all the blends in one quilt and not use any cottons. That way they would all behave the same. Just thinking out loud ;)
I like this advive couldn't have said it better myself. Go on, use them. :thumbup:
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
I have used blends for years. They are wonderful because they fade less, they are strong and frequently their colors are more vibrant than pure cotton.

I had no idea that my 65 percent cotton, 35 percent polyester was offensive to "real quilters" until I joined quilt guilds. Despite their horror, I continue to use whatever fits into the quilt I'm making and sometimes I use 100 percent cotton and blends in the same quilt.

To tell the truth, I think some quilters have what I call a Hyacinth Bucket complex about fabric! Use those blends! They will be wonderful.

FroggyinTexas

P.S. Hyacinth Bucket is a character on one of the British comedies broadcast by PBS stations. The program is called "Keeping Up Appearances."
Thank you so much for your wonderful post-----I like the Hyacinth Bucket theory.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM

You can use anything and boy have I seen quilts made from anything and everything!!! Personally, I prefer to use like fabrics in a quilt (all cottons or all blends) so they react to laundering and wear at about the same rate. I have even quilted quilts for people made from double knits!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 PM

I will use whatever is handy for a quilt. I do think it is a good idea to use all the same fabric in one quilt. I have made quilts out of wool, plisse, polyester knits, men's farmer hankies, jeans, t-shirts, etc. etc. Grandkids wait in line for the next one. Don't hesitate to use what you have.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 AM

?donate them to someone who sews clothes I can't use them they smell when ironing and just don't feel good, fabric snob I guess.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

there are MANY beautiful polyester quilts out there...and lots of blended quilts with many different fabrics. the ONLY thing you need to keep in mind when making a quilt is --
make sure it washes up ok. if the fabrics all wash/dry ok and behave they can be used...and if you make quilts that don't get washed (wall-hangings) you don't even have to worry about that. go ahead and use your beautiful fabrics and make beautiful quilts...it is yours. I have made a few quilts that have backs that are blends...and home-dec fabrics. all works.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:40 AM

I've not had the time to read all the responses, BUT, ignore the quilt police!

Make the quilt you want from the fabrics you want. I think it is something that grows on you, anyway. If you don't notice the difference, then don't worry about it.

I'm assuming by blend you mean 50/50 poly cotton, right? I have to use this quite a bit because I'm limited to pretty much used clothing and used bedding. I find I do use the 50/50 blend often. It works up just fine. The problem is that it will pill after a lot of abrasion. All cotton won't. Otherwise, with 50/50 I don't notice any difference. Well, once you get used to it, all cotton is nicer, but until you get to that point...

It's sort of like telling a new piano player that their keyboard is junk. It might be, but given time and experience, the keyboard is good enough that the person can learn on and actually probably even make music with. Given enough time, the person may disdain their new keyboard for either a real piano or a Clavinova, etc. But in the meantime, keep using the keyboard...

Don't throw away perfectly good fabric. I use what I have. Only people who have a lot of choice can afford to be so "picky" about their fabric. :)
Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 AM

"Prewash and use them together, or separately"
(what amma said) I would think about putting them into a crazy quilt with an outline of decorative stitching.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:42 AM

Yes!