Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sore , tired and achy hands >
  • Sore , tired and achy hands

• Sore , tired and achy hands

Old 12-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Been reading all the replys with much intrest as I have the same problems already mentioned I have had carpol tunnel surgery on both hands twice. and it is back once again but I swer no more sugery for me. I think I have tried almost everything suggested here some work for me then stop working and I start all over again doing the various remendies usually I just work through the pain. However Saturday I was in JoAnns and seen this display marked 60 per cent off. They had hand warming gloves and slipper warmers. Well I bought the gloves and plan to go back Monday and get the slipper. They are mittens made out of fleece type material, they have pockets sewen in and in the pockets are small microwavable wheat pockets tried them today the heat felt so good. Also says you can freeze the packets for cold therpy
    Old 12-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Sorry to mention it, but good old dishwashing by hand does it too. You get to soak your hands in nice warm water three times a day. Better than therapy! Use the dishwasher for the pots and pans.
    Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM

I rub mine with blue mineral ice. It would be wonderful after the hot wax bath. Try it.
    Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by morelcabin
    Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I have been hand quilting for 30 years and the hands are OK with the exception of middle finger on left hand [the one that is under the quilt and pushing the needle back up]. it almost feels as if there is a bump on the bone at the knuckle, when I bend it, it hurts. Anyone else run into this?
    I live in fear of getting real arthritis in my hands...
    That is exactly what Watkins medicated ointment is for ...actually Vicks might work the same...just put in on the swollen knuckle with a bandaise and it will go completely away within a couple of days...no kidding. I had a knuckle like that for a year before i tried it and it worked!
    My DH's aunt used to used Vicks on her hands. They were terrible crooked and very arthritic.
    Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM

I have rather severe arthritis in my hands, esp in my fingers where the joints have fused.

I don't sew for great lengths of time but rotate the varying tasks of cutting, pressing, sewing, and exercising. I bought a Pfaff because of the dual feed [IDT] so I don't have to strain when sewing.

I tested all the various rotary cutters til I found which ones fit me and how I use them. I bought the Alto's Quick Cut 2 for assistance with cutting. I made sure my cutting area is the right height for me. Then I bought a great "chair' for me to sew in, actually it isn't a chair but a Swopper, it feels like sitting on a balance ball only I don't have to worry about pins bursting it.

I take my meds and see my rheumatologist.

ali
    Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
    Power Poster

little hand streching exercises throughout the day.
    Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    I use Biofreeze. Just need a small dab, and it works quite well. Mild odor disappears quickly.
    I have heard of this product before, and heard it also works well for neuropathy in the feet. Where do you find this? I have never seen it in the store.
    Chris I find this at the Chiropractor office. I used to get it at Physical Therapy. I also found it on line. You can buy it by the gallon on here. Just Google it.
    Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    I have rather severe arthritis in my hands, esp in my fingers where the joints have fused.

I don't sew for great lengths of time but rotate the varying tasks of cutting, pressing, sewing, and exercising. I bought a Pfaff because of the dual feed [IDT] so I don't have to strain when sewing.

I tested all the various rotary cutters til I found which ones fit me and how I use them. I bought the Alto's Quick Cut 2 for assistance with cutting. I made sure my cutting area is the right height for me. Then I bought a great "chair' for me to sew in, actually it isn't a chair but a Swopper, it feels like sitting on a balance ball only I don't have to worry about pins bursting it.

I take my meds and see my rheumatologist.

ali
    There is nothing that will get rid of the bone spurs on the fingers, shy of getting them scraped off. The lotions, creams, salves, oils, paraffin, gloves, hot water will relieve the discomfort, but only temporarily - that is typical of arthritis. Sometimes a prescription pain reliever will help. I don't go that route. Your very best bet is to see your doctor and let him diagnose what type of arthritis you have and the best way to treat it. My husband has osteo-arthritis in his knee. I have rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers and toes. It is not real comfortable I can assure you, but what do we expect from everything our hands and feet have done over the years. Look what we have put our bodies through in the past years. I hurt, but it's better than most other ailments. Not to sound cruel or anything, but after my husband going through two bouts of cancer, the chemo, the prednisone bursts, I just say "suck it up and get on with living." With that said, I have to tell you, I loved washing dishes because the hot water felt so good on my hands. Guess what? My husband gave me a portable dishwasher two weeks ago for Christmas. I love it. It saves me a lot of time. I just have to run my hands under hot water more often, that's all! He loves me. That's what counts. I just don't tell him how bad it hurts sometimes. I love him and that's what counts too. Edie
    Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    What do you do for sore, tired, and achy hands? I really depend on my Homedics paraffin bath--the heat is soothing and penetrating and the paraffin helps moisturize my hands and nails. (Warning: people with diabetes or nerve damage should check with their doctor before using one.) I'm interested to know what other quilters do to keep their hands mobile and pain free.
    I use hot water -- as hot as I can stand it -- to do dishes. I also like lotions with camphor or peppermint to use before bed; and of course, rest is the best medicine.
    Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 AM

I use this stuff called Arniflora or Arnica. It's homeopathic like a cream or gel. Made from flowers. It helps a lot.