Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Achy hands and wrists while quilting? >

Achy hands and wrists while quilting?

Achy hands and wrists while quilting?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM

Default Achy hands and wrists while quilting?

Hi ladies. I have only made about 4 quilts and only one quilted on my new machine. I have the machingers and Sew Slip which do help. My new machine with ample harp space is lovely. I do have the quilt supported left and in front of me to the best of my ability. That said, I still notice that my hands and wrists get very achy very past. I'm trying to relax my hands but I'm just concerned that I'm going to develop arthritis or some kind of condition by enjoying my favorite hobby! Does anyone have any tips or thoughts about this? Thank you!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM

gloves help my grip and I don't push or pull so hard, but tension does build up, have to make myself relax or quilt with music. Good luck. This I have to do because of arthritis, just caused by age and life, not quilting.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM

well..... that does happen. The trick, if you can figure out how to do it is.... relax and try not to be so tense while quilting. yea right! I have tried so hard and do good for a bit and then next thing I realize is that my shoulders are tense, and it goes all the way down. for me... doing small areas at one time instead of trying to do a large area helps. take breaks and concentrate are stretching your fingers and hands. Just try sample pieces quilting while holding your hands and arms in difference positions. Try adjusting your chair. Good luck and don't give up. Hopefully someone will have better advice . I'll be watching
Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

You might want to go to the doctor and get checked out, as it may be that you already have some arthritis and the quilting is aggravating it. I also wonder if it could be carpal tunnel syndrome acting up.

You might also want to try quilting standing up. When I quilted on my domestic machine, I would place it on my cutting table. This was much easier on my neck and back, and it also changes the angle for the shoulders, wrists and hands.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM

A thimbleful of your favorite beverage may help you relax a little...not to excess of course or you will have wonky looking stuff!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM

I agree with Prism99 about checking with your doctor. However, don't forget that quilting can be very physically demanding -- it's exercise! Like any activity, if you don't machine quilt every day or every few days you can expect to be a bit sore after a sewing marathon.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Trust me, pushing and pulling 10 lbs. of quilt is so very physically demanding...after a few hours, I'm exhausted! I play nice soft music and remind myself constantly to relax. And remember to stop when you've had enough for the day: )
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
A thimbleful of your favorite beverage may help you relax a little...not to excess of course or you will have wonky looking stuff!
I have very BIG thimbles!! WOnky is OK!!LOL
Old 04-19-2013, 05:03 PM
QM
Power Poster

Yes, remember to relax. I have arthritis in my right wrist (among other places) and sometimes wear a carpal tunnel brace. Quilting was not the cause, however, I've broken that wrist 4 times, once defending myself from a crazed druggy with a knife. I figure that my body is entitled to complain once in a while. I have not treated it gently. I have made over 500 quilts. My doc sees no damage from quilting, only from being TENSE while quilting.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM

I have always had pains in my wrists with cutting