Is it offensive?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I say Merry Christmas because I am Christian. If some one said Happy Hannukah or Happy Holidays, I would not be offended. I would take it in the good spirit it was intended. In a world where we are suppose to be accepting of other religions, then please be accepting of mine and allow me to wish you a Merry Christmas!
AMEN to that!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
i'd like to ask your opinion on Merry Christmas versus Happy Holidays. I'm very respectful that people celebrate different holidays, have different religious views and have personal beliefs that make them who they are - that goodness for that as it makes the world an interesting place.

I am not a religious person, just someone who grew up celebrating Christmas as our december holiday. So, I'd like to ask is Merry Christmas offensive or is Happy Holidays offensive or, is neutralizing the holiday to a happy holiday really an insult to both parties since neither can feel free to express who they are.

what's a person to do?

Here's my thought. Those who are offended by someone giving them a wish of happiness or merriment should not be offended and just simply say "thank you". Wouldn't that be the good manners that our parents taught us?

I have a good friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas, before she became by good friend I wished her a Merry Christmas, and she said, thank you for the good wishes, I'm Jewish so I wish you a a happy Hanukkah. We both laughed, but the spirit of our good wishes for each other was not lost in the choice of what holiday one choose to celebrate.

what do you guys think?
I find neither one offensive. I used to work for a Jewish dentist and all his employees but one were Catholic. He always wished us a Merry Christmas and took us out to celebrate. This morning I was in a KMart and saw a man I have seen around town, elderly and now in a wheelchair with his badly swollen legs out in front of him. He had a beautiful smile on his face and wished me a wonderful Holiday. I thanked him and wished him a wonderful one too. It got me to thinking about how blessed I am and that we should never complain about the situation we are in. So, be it Christmas or Holiday, I am flattered that a stranger would take the time to wish me either.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I say Merry Christmas with no apologies. If someone wishes me Happy Holidays, I respond with Merry Christmas.
me too.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I say Merry Christmas because I am Christian. If some one said Happy Hannukah or Happy Holidays, I would not be offended. I would take it in the good spirit it was intended. In a world where we are suppose to be accepting of other religions, then please be accepting of mine and allow me to wish you a Merry Christmas!
Woot Woot!!! Well said!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:46 AM

I am going to say something that will offend many of the Christians on the board but it has to come off my chest.

The core question is the greeting or well wishes meant to be FOR the benefit of the person saying it or the person it is being said to. If purposely saying Merry Christmas is to show off your religion, then it doesnt mean anything to me except to show me that you are maybe pushy and self centered in your witnessing and your well wishes are simply a foil to push your religion. You dont care about wishing me well.

OTOH, if you know the other person shares your beliefs then it comes off as a benevolent thought.

Most times this kind of stuff means little and most people let it pass.

I will purposely say Merry Christmas to my Christian friend as that is what I hope for them. Because I really CARE about my non-Christian friends, I say Happy Holidays to acknowledge that my greeting is not generic and not about me.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 AM

I do not celebrate Christmas, and I do not want to be wished a merry Christmas However, I also believe people have the right to wish however they like a merry Christmas, so if someone does wish me a merry Christmas I just say thank you and leave it at that.
I don't understand why people have to be rude or take offence.
at something that is said in the spirit of the festive season.
as for politicaly correct who makes up these stupid rules if someone wants to believe in something so be it. it is not for us to tell them what to do or not do unless it breaks the law.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 AM

Personally, I am offended by people who are so easily offended!

(This is a joke!)
Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 AM

we have members in our family who celebrate different things. And one young family who celebrates nothing. My husband took it upon himself this year, and sent out Happy Festivus cards that he printed from the computer in joy and fun. To me, it doesn't matter which holiday you celebrate (or don't celebrate), it's the Love behind the good wishes that matters. We must be careful that, "Merry Christmas," doesn't become a challenge to the recipient to "love it or leave it." Hang onto the sincerity ... the joy behind What Ever you wish another. "Good Tidings to you 'whomever' you are..."
Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 AM

I am a Christian and I always say Merry Christmas. I do this because I truly mean it and not to offend anyone.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 AM

I was at the pet store this morning and a shopper there and I were both buying food for our pets. We had a conversation about cockatiels and budgies and as I was leaving I said, "Merry Christmas!" to which he replied, "Jingle Bells!". How cute was that?

And I wasn't the least bit offended.