Do you have a home remedy?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM

We've always used the ear candles from the health food store. DH has terrible "stuffed" ears
Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Sweet oil is a great remedy! And according to my doctor, be very leery of using undiluted peroxide in your ear. It kills natural bacteria and can cause injury.
my dd used peroxide and her ear still swelled shut with the peroxide inside and it stagnated! She ended up with a busted eardrum! pleeease be careful!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Our doctor told my mother to put baby oil in her ear with a q tip. Another doctor told her to mix 1 part vinegar and 1 part alcohol. Put 5 drops in ear and put a cotton ball in. Wait 5 minutes and then take out.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Sorry didn't finish: Take out the cotton ball. This also works for earaches.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM

If it is earwax that is causing his ear to be stuffed, Debrox is the way to go. Recommended by many docs I have worked for. The thing is, you usually have to put the drops in for 2-3 days to soften the wax build up, then use the bulb syringe and warm water to flush out. It can be a little messy, but does the job.

That being said, if he hasn't seen a doc for a while, might want to have it looked at, or at least give the doc a call and explain the problem and ask what you should try.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 PM

the ear candles really work well, my husband has had the same problem and it worked for him. My daughters have also used them
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM

DON'T USE PEROXIDE FULL STRENGHT!!!

My husband's family always used it for anything that hurt, he said it was a home remedy they always used. So when I had a cold sore in my mouth, he told me to rinse my mouth out with it. So I did, for 4 days, then I looked in my mouth - it looked like someone had taken a seam ripper and ripped the inside of my cheek from the back tooth to the front tooth. I thought I had cancer or something. It scared me so bad, I got an appointment to see the doctor the next day. He didn't see it at first because he looked down my throat. Then I showed him and he was shocked by the way it looked. He said not to use it in your mouth like that. I killed off all the good bacteria and chemically burned the inside of my mouth. It has been 2 weeks now and it still hasn't healed yet. If you have to use peroxide, use one that is dulited. You can get it at the drug store.

When I was little and had ear aches, my mom made a little ball of pepper in a cloth and put warm oil on it and put that in our ears. That worked for us. We had ear aches all the time. She cut a circle out of the fabric, then put pepper in it, used a string to tie it up, then heated oil in a spoon and put the ball of pepper in it. It stayed warm long enough for us to go to sleep.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
Originally Posted by scowlkat
Sweet oil is a great remedy! And according to my doctor, be very leery of using undiluted peroxide in your ear. It kills natural bacteria and can cause injury.
my dd used peroxide and her ear still swelled shut with the peroxide inside and it stagnated! She ended up with a busted eardrum! pleeease be careful!!!

Was that caused by the foaming from the peroxide? or was it an allergy?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by hheelleenn
My hubby has a stuffed ear. The over the counters, don't seem to work. He's had this problem before so we know it's nothing serious.
You should make sure he does not have a perforated ear drum before you put anything in his ear. If it is just wax, use ceremol or waxol ear drops for a few days = up to a week . This should be enough to dissolve the problem. If his ear is still blocked with the wax, the drops will have softened it enough to make it easy to syringe the wax out with water, This can be done at a clinic, hospital or doctor's.
If you have ear - ache you should go to doctor's or clinic as it is indication of middle or inner ear infection that needs to be treated differently. Once you lose your hearing you don't get it back.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Purreed onions, squeeze juice through cheese cloth. Make sure its not a hot onion. One drop in the ear as needed. Works, used it on my kids, it was like magic.
I do this just with a few drops of onion juice.