Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 06-10-2015, 06:13 AM

tkhooper...I was able to finish or pretty close to finish quilts like you're doing for the first few years I quilted (I've been quilting less than 10 years) . So it *is* possible.

My issue was I had some shoulder problems last year so I could piece but not quilt. Right now I have 5 tops that need to be quilted. Thankfully one of those should be done by the end of this weekend. I need to sandwich the others so they're ready to quilt too. I have backings pieced and bindings ready to go on...might have 2 or 3 finishes this month!
    Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 AM

TK: Good on you avoiding the UFO trap. My real downfall has to do with quilt alongs and mysteries. Love to join a group and watch the various interpretations emerge. Plus you "meet" some really nice people that way.
    Vicki: One time I went on a quilting and binding binge and finished six quilts in a very short amount of time. Really don't know what motivated me but its never happened again. Darn, wish I could find that button again.
    Sandy & Carrie: Amazing how similar all our stories are with only slightly different reasons why our tops started accumulating. Yes I would like to finish a lot more, but as long as I am enjoying myself that's all I care about.
    Old 06-10-2015, 07:49 AM

Thank you for all the compliments and encouragement to keep quilting up those UFOs! I love to pick a quilt design or make one of my own, select the fabrics and get the tops all sewn....the rest of the process I am not so great at accomplishing! LOL I did discover while hand sewing the binding on that larger quilt this weekend, it is a great time to listen to a book on tape and made the task more relaxing.
    Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Ok, I have corrupted someone.

I just moved to my area in late 2013, so have a "new" friend. Several shared interests including quilting. She's been off quilting for a while, but after we became friends, she started working on a quilt for G-dau's (2) remodeled bedroom.

I've started or at least planned a dozen in the same time. I have completed a doll quilt for a bonus granddaughter, a FMQ tester quilt that ended up being a tea party (picnic) quilt for the grandgirls, and a baby quilt. I have completed 4 flimsies that I can think of. Friend was over a week or so ago, and saw one of my initial quilt drawings (planned), so I showed her the finished drawing and the fabric it was planned for. She said, I thought you were working on the Swoon Quilt last time I was here. I said, well, that is still on the top of the pile, I only showed you the final drawings because you saw the incomplete planning drawing.

Her reaction everytime is, I thought you were working on... She totally doesn't get the hopping around I do.

So, her live-in 18 yo granddaughter (1) has a newborn girl. I went over Sunday to meet. Friend showed me a started bargello flimsy. I said did you finish grandaughter (2)'s quilt? She laughed, and said, NO.

Yee-haw, I've corrupted a linear worker to a UFO worker.

...tee hee hee...
    Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM

I'm still working on the sleeve of the sampler.

Then everything went blue-y, when I got behind with the explorers group. So the community quilt got sidetracked while I quilted the mini art quilt. And of course I caught the backing in the quilting trying to cut corners. Now I'm very back up and feeling cornered. EEEEK!
    Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 AM

Everyone's finishes are so beautiful. And Finished! How great is that? I just keep going outside in our beautiful weather and ignoring my sewing room. Wish there were more hours in a day.
    Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM

OMG ... all of the quilts are just beautiful!! I have not been on the board lately. Just don't know where the time has gone. I feel like I have hit a brick wall and not accomplished much in quilting. My head has been spinning since a year ago and has continued on a horrible spiral. I have had 6 deaths within 11 mos. and they include my husband, cousin, best friend since 1st grade, my sister, and two neighbors from my childhood. But ... I have been working on a UFO!!! Quilting does make all sad things go away ... at least for a while. I hope to have this UFO finished by Monday, if all goes well! It's a scrappy and has 500 2-1/2" squares in the front and 224 squares in the back. I haven't put a dent in my scraps, but I'm enjoying the process. I'll post a picture when I'm done. I'm so happy to be back and seeing all the wonderful quilts!
    Old 06-12-2015, 05:21 AM

My condolences Weasier22 thats quite a blow you have taken. I'm glad the quilting helps you.

I hit a wall too but there wasn't any reason for it that I know of.
    Old 06-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Weasie: Hit with what you have endured quilting would be the last thing on my mind. So glad you can find some relief.
    Old 06-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Default Finished pieced backing

Yeah, finished the pieced backing, plan to sandwich tomorrow and then on to some simple quilting. Began this quilt in 2013 Craftys BOM with Laura Nownes. Learned new techniques on this project. I wil be happy to say finished

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg