2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-30-2021, 06:29 PM

Another fabulous quilt, Teen. Love your fabrics. Pat Sloan is a favorite of mine.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:31 PM

Thank you, Blue Bell!!
Old 07-01-2021, 02:54 AM

Ice, the fussy cut turkeys made me smile on this fine Thursday morning. Michigan had heat and serious drought some time then we had 10 days of serious rain and humidity. Today, glorious summer. Weather is as weather is..... it will change. But I feel for those who have to suffer from the extremes.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:10 AM

Lovely project Teen!

Glad to give you a smile WMU, the turkey quilt is one I've made for myself for my quilt of the month project. Is hard to see in the pictures but the background fabric has little bird footprints. I'm pretty sure it was from a line of shorebird fabrics, but in this case they are turkey tracks! The fan blades are each unique, many came from my most recent visit to my friend in Arizona.

I think it is fun how the same traditional blocks used in different ways can make such different projects. This Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue will look very very different than my silly birds. Still haven't cut the fan blades but the star blocks have made progress.

Brian remains rather peacefully unresponsive and we are waiting. The plane quilt is completely finished now but I am unlikely to get further photos. That's ok, our timing while not perfect is at least timely.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:15 AM

Thank you, Iceblossom!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:36 AM

Teen -- I wanted to say that I really like both your avatar quilt and that last one you made. I had planned to be working on something similar the Whatchamacallit sampler right about now but I got diverted by Debbie's instead... I like samplers but don't consider it one of my strong suits and need to follow a pattern. You have such a nice hand with your fabric selections.
https://crystalmanningart.com/blogs/...macallit-quilt

I did successfully buy the backing for Aunt Debbie without anything else hitching a ride but I admit to looking and considering many options. I do rather like taking this project out of the household budget instead of my usual tightly clench-fisted self budget/Fabric Moratorium self. This was the selection, it was hubby's favorite and I explained the cost difference from the various options...
https://www.equilter.com/product/255...-quilt-backing
Old 07-01-2021, 04:58 PM

Teen: Very pretty top! Bummer to the high temps.

Iceblossom: Will you give the plane quilt to your quilt friend eventually? My church quilting friends were making a quilt for my husband but he died before he knew about it. They decided to give it to me anyway and I use it in the winter. It is treasured.

Today I decided to try an outdoor picture of Hey June designed by Gudrun from GEDesigns. She offered the pattern free for 24 hours and then we did a sew along on Saturday. She demonstrated the steps at different times of the day. She also suggested to try and get an outside picture. I remembered that I still had some small nails in the frame around the garage door that used to be used for Christmas lights. With my oldest son’s help, I got a picture. What a difference from indoor to outdoor pictures. This weekend, my son and I will add a few more nails to the door frame. The idea of the pants/shirt hangars came from a few people on this thread.

59” by 80” . Will be finished and donated by my church group.
Attached Thumbnails 56e75434-f5ba-4843-9fd5-392d63d60fab.jpeg  
Old 07-01-2021, 05:22 PM

Oh the quilt will definitely go to Janice, it was always planned for her and was a group project helping us with our grief as well. She made many for Brian. On the next Tuesday we meet, it will be time and we will be there.

We first started talking that it was time to start back in December/January, and we got a bit behind. Janice is usually our leader and does such a great job dealing with us that you don't even know that you've been dealt with for two or three days. Trust me, it was not the same without her. It's like the cards that say "This card is a group effort -- everything with this group is an effort"

The planes were chosen because they have significance and meaning to her. We deliberately chose blue skies and no rain (clouds ok) or night -- but the night border was selected over several others. The sashing grades from dark to light as a meaning. And there are other things she will see and know -- pieces of fabric from her/her other projects and other little messages from us. Things like we cut the binding on the straight of grain and 2.25 inches because that's how she does it (instead of my bias and extra wide at 3" cut) or the choice of the serpentine stitch. Little quilt messages from quilters that know you too well.

My usual role in the group is the layout/top assembly and I did that for this project. Had to step up and do the quilting to or it would not have gotten done, I'm glad it is.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Teen: Very pretty top! Bummer to the high temps.

Iceblossom: Will you give the plane quilt to your quilt friend eventually? My church quilting friends were making a quilt for my husband but he died before he knew about it. They decided to give it to me anyway and I use it in the winter. It is treasured.

Today I decided to try an outdoor picture of Hey June designed by Gudrun from GEDesigns. She offered the pattern free for 24 hours and then we did a sew along on Saturday. She demonstrated the steps at different times of the day. She also suggested to try and get an outside picture. I remembered that I still had some small nails in the frame around the garage door that used to be used for Christmas lights. With my oldest son’s help, I got a picture. What a difference from indoor to outdoor pictures. This weekend, my son and I will add a few more nails to the door frame. The idea of the pants/shirt hangars came from a few people on this thread.

59” by 80” . Will be finished and donated by my church group.
A very graphic looking quilt. For those who make QOV quilts, it's a great size and I can see it in R/W/B.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:50 AM

Teen, that is amazingly beautiful in the Tilda fabrics.

retiredteacher, what a cool quilt!