Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas >

need ideas

need ideas

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 AM

If the parents are that fussy, then give them a gift certificate to a LQS and say pick the pattern the colors and then let me help you put it together.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter
Originally Posted by Up North
Most baby quilts are floor quilts for tummy time or they should be so I suggest something bright and with texture also add some small ribbon loops for playing with!
Please remember that infants and babies can choke on things like fringe, loops, buttons, bows, prairie points, tabs, beads, jiggle eyes and most other adornments on a quilt and remember Safety First!
Meant just the little taggy kind not big loops just 1/2 inch maybe so babys can feel the texture. Most babies love tags on toys and such.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM

I think I would ask the couple before putting all that work into a quilt and then they don't like it. They can pick the pattern and not see the finished project till the shower/birth, would save a lot of 'hurt feelings'.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM

How about a small bogello (spelling???) or trip around the world quilt with the same colors? Don't know how easy that would be, but that could fit the abstract. Actually I would agree with some of the others and just chose 5 patterns and ask the parent which one they like or just make a quilt for her to keep at her place. Hope all turns out good with whatever she decides.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Have her make something she loves and keep it for use at her house when the baby is there.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Maybe search online and find the exact room decor the new parents are planning to use. There will be coordinates available of all kinds. Copy one of those for ideas for her quilt.

Words of warning: Many parents these days are particular as to the style of their nursery. If something doesn't go with their theme, they will not use it even in the car or another room.

Save your friend some heartache and have her work with the parents on this. Trust me.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM

I agree, I would show parents the type of quilt pattern you plan to use - I can tell you from experience with my DIL
Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM

Check with the place where they are getting their wallpaper from. It might have fabric you can buy to match the wallpaper. Then incorporate it into the quilt. Jan
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Maybe she should make the quilt for the baby to use at HER house. tee hee
I thought that as well! Jan
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM

In my opinion, if they are that fussy and might shove it in a closet, I'd give them a gift certificate and wouldn't waste my precious time on someone who might hate what I make. I'd save my talent for someone who doesn't have the luxury of being that particular.