Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas >

need ideas

need ideas

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM

My BFF just found out she's going to be a grandmother (of a boy). Her son and DIL sent her some photos of the fabrics they're going to use in the nursery.
It's very swirly, lots of curves, not very nursery-looking, more like an abstract painting, but oh well.
Anyway she had already asked me to help her make a tumbling block crib quilt for the baby. But now that she's seen the curvy, swirly design they'll have on everything, she's (we're) wondering if a tumbling block quilt will look out of place, even though she'd use the same colors?
I should mention that her son and DIL are FUSSY about what they wear, the house decorations etc. Of course we all are but they take it to a crazy level. And if they don't like a gift they either shove it into a closet or take it back. They'll even announce at Xmas "Oh I'll have to exchange this since I don't like it" right to the person who gave it to them....etc.
I think they're rude but my BFF is such a sweet person and I don't want her to work on a gift if they won't like it.
What I'm trying to ask is, if you needed to make a crib quilt for a nursery that'll have abstract wallpaper and sheets etc, what quilt pattern would you choose?
Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM

IMHO, the right colors are more important than the same pattern. A tumbling block quilt pattern would be fine!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like a more contemporary room decor, maybe a more contemporary quilt pattern? Maybe run a few patterns by the parents first? :D:D:D
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Former shop owner here . . . baby quilts were the #1 frustration of grandma's!! Color trends have really changed! If you are set on a tumbling block, maybe pull the colors out of the curly/swirly design, throw in a block here and there of the design, and border with it??
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 AM

I think a tumbling block pattern would be fine in matching colors. If they don't want to use it in the baby's room, your friend could aways mention it might also be very useful to use in the car. That'll give the new parents options on where they would like to use it. Either way, they'll be using it for the new baby boy and that's the most important thing.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I love the tumbling block pattern, but it may be too traditional for these parents. I agree with amma that these parents may very well like a more contemporary quilt. In this circumstance I think I would want input from the parents, to prevent it from being a stuff in a drawer quilt.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
IMHO, the right colors are more important than the same pattern. A tumbling block quilt pattern would be fine!
I agree.
Rita
Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Most baby quilts are floor quilts for tummy time or they should be so I suggest something bright and with texture also add some small ribbon loops for playing with!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM

I agree with Donna, and I think the grandmother-to-be should tell the new parents that's the purpose of the quilt when she gives it to them. I'm afraid if she tries to do something to tie in with the nursery, if it's not exactly what they want or like, it'll get put away and never see the light of day! Another thing to think about - given that the parents have such definite likes and dislikes, will they appreciate a quilt? Maybe she should make one for when the baby comes to visit her and give the parents something else.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
Maybe she should make one for when the baby comes to visit her and give the parents something else.
that's a good idea but they live so far away from each other that my friend won't be able to babysit etc.