Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas >

need ideas

need ideas

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Most baby quilts are floor quilts for tummy time or they should be so I suggest something bright and with texture also add some small ribbon loops for playing with!
No ribbons or loops etc. Not with these parents...lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
..... throw in a block here and there of the design, and border with it??
that's a good idea. I'll mention that to her. thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM

For fussy people (Professional Rejectionists), it might be safer and wiser to have the couple see some photos of completed quilts, such as the photos on Quilt Patterns for Sale; where they can use their powers of rejection BEFORE your friend has invested hours and hours of labored love. Thanks to the internet and wonderful quilting supply stores, you won't have to drag them out on a shopping trip; they can select from home.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
IMHO, the right colors are more important than the same pattern.
Usually I'd agree except with these parents!
My friend has already decided to use the same colors that they'd picked out but she just can't see a tumbling block pattern (or any other that I've shown her) being "acceptable". I told her not to bother making anything if she thinks they'll not use it, just buy something, but her heart is set on it.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Maybe a bull's eye quilt? Or make the tumbling blocks and do swirly quilting with a contrasting thread? Wow, if it were me, I wouldn't make anything for the nursery. I would make some bibs, burp cloths, etc.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I understand your situation. I recently made a rail fence baby quilt in colors the parents like, green and cream, although it was for a little girl. they "said" they loved it. Since I don't live close, I don't really know until I get out there to visit. Hard project sometimes.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM

I know it's out of the ordinary, but what if she purchased a crib sheet or two that is the same fabric as what they will be using and use that to make the quilt? That way they will have the fabric they want, and you can select a pattern that would be on the contemporary side. It just might work. My only other suggestion is: don't give them a quilt at all. Purchase something she already knows has been pre-approved by them. :? It will make them happy and your friend won't have to suffer the heartache if they reject her gift of love. :wink:
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Have you checked out Moda Bake Shop? There are a lot of modern patterns there. http://www.modabakeshop.com/ Have the parents look there and find one they like , then use their material. I don't think you could go wrong if they picked the pattern too. :D We all know how things change by the time more children come along ;) Me, first one, freak if toy fell on floor. Fourth one , brush it off, no sweat. :lol:
Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 PM

I would email the parents pictures of some patterns you would like to use and let them pick. If they are more involved in the process, they are more likely to use and enjoy the quilt.

If they say they don't care, then tumbling blocks, it is!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pab58
I know it's out of the ordinary, but what if she purchased a crib sheet or two that is the same fabric as what they will be using and use that to make the quilt?
I agree with pab58. You could pair it with matching solid colors pulled from the focus fabric.