Online Dating..Opinions.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
My mom has already given me the safety of online dating talk. She's not really supportive of my decision, but there are no good guys to date where I'm at. Opinions of online dating?
Well, in 2001 I moved to California. I didn't know anybody so a girl I worked with suggested just checking out Match.com. I started out just looking at photos. I ended up emailing several people and I finally met one of them in my area. We got married in 2003 and are very, very happy. By the way, I was 60 at the time.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Worked for me. 7 years married now to my match.com guy. The tips the folks mentioned were all great and here's an added one.

Find out where he works. Then google it, make sure it's a legimate business, then PHONE it and ask for the man. The answer you don't want to hear is "who is that". If/when they transfer you, say sorry wrong number and hang up. If he's self employed, do as much research as you can on his business.

When I "met" my husband he was in Venice Italy. Then he went "home" to England, then to a trade show in Germany. When he got home here in the states, I started a round of traveling. We kept in touch for well over a month during our travels and when we were both in the same state at the same time we finally met for dinner. He shocked this American gal by greeting me European fashion - a kiss on both cheeks.

I was quite frank with him on our first date. I said "face it, we joined match to find a partner - not a "date" for an evening" so we asked each other questions that were pertinent to a relationship that could be a forever one. Naturally my biggest question was did he intend on living in the States forever or was he interested in moving back to England? In hindsight ... I wish he had said England and took me with him :)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 AM

On line is the new generation of dating. Try one of the christian sites.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Our very good friends met through online dating. When they were ready to meet face to face they met at a restaurant. She had the advantage of her Dad being a police detective, so he did a quick background check on her guy! They have been happily married for six years, and have a beautiful baby girl.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Be careful!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM

I met my husband online, and we've been together 11 years. After "meeting" some jerks and liars, I decided to only chat with ones in my area. Be careful, meet in a public place, and if you have someone with access to "PublicData.com" check out their name to see if they have a criminal history. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I think it is a good option. I know of several situations that people met online, eharmony, and they are now married. Just be very careful. In their case they were super conservative and it was hard to find some one with a similar background. I currently have one son 21 who is trying to connect online. He is from a particular cultural group and is interested in a wife from a similar background and there are just no people from his ethnic background in our area. Birds of a feather flock together. I married some one from my home country but we met through a church setting.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
In hindsight ... I wish he had said England and took me with him :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
I met my hubby online and we have now been married 9 years (well in another couple weeks). We have known each other for over ten. I wouldn't have met him if I didn't go online. He lived in the next state and we share the hobby of genealogy. My brother also met his wife online approximately 7 years ago.

Be careful, don't provide your home address or home phone.

Always let someone else know you are meeting someone. Call them before and after the date.

Meet in a neutral place.

Safety first, there are some great people out there but there are also some weirdos. Better safe than sorry.

Don't let anyone talk you into anything you are not comfortable with....

OK....enough from me, I am sure you can tell I am a Mother?
I have no problems with it and think that Vicki has given you some very good sound advise to use.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM

I met my DH online and we were married 3 years later. Get to know someone really well. Take cautions and keep it public for a good long while.