Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have you been to Mt Rushmore >

have you been to Mt Rushmore

have you been to Mt Rushmore

Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 AM

I have been there twice, once when I was little, just parked the car along side of the road and walked to where we could see. Then my husband and I went a few years back, boy have things changed!! No more parking on the side of the road! Parking ramps, walking along way to get close and the shops. Nothing like that when I went the first time.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 AM

I've been there several times but the most amazing visit was on Dec. 1 about 25 years ago - no tourists - no one around - silence except for the wind in the trees. It was AWESOME!! It gave us time to think about what an amazing feat the whole sculpture was and about the meanings of the presidents there.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ndgirl
I've been there several times but the most amazing visit was on Dec. 1 about 25 years ago - no tourists - no one around - silence except for the wind in the trees. It was AWESOME!! It gave us time to think about what an amazing feat the whole sculpture was and about the meanings of the presidents there.
I love to go places "off season". You really get a feel for things. However, we will be going in the middle of the tourist season this year.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 PM

We went in the 90's, stopped by Crazy Hose monument & rode our Harleys in Spearfish Canyon. It is beautiful country, we stopped in Bear Country outside of Rapid City. Loved the whole thing. Really awesome!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 PM

As everyone else has said, definitely go! You won't regret it. I went in the mid-70s on my way back to California from Chicago, and as I remember it was very rustic then. Sorry to hear it's been "developed." I remember back then there were so many trees that you didn't really see the mountain itself until you mounted the platform, and then there it was soaring overhead. The effect was fantastic and humbling. We also went to see this Mt. Rushmore cave system and went on the tour; anybody know if that is still operating? It was waaaay off the road, and a series of signs led us farther and farther, but being young, we persevered, and it was worthwhile with all the underground rock formations.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:20 PM

It is def worth the trip. Very impressive. It is very built up since we were there the first time. In fact we didn't have to pay the first time. Now you have to pay for everything. It's a nice little town. And not too far is the Mistletoe Ranch with a nice quilt shop - Quilt Corrall. We camped across the street - much to my husbands surprise - Nice shop. helpful people. Deadwood we were VERY disappointed in. Just drove thru. Didn't even stop. We talked to someone in Lead and understand the delima but still think they could have built it in the design of the past.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM

I visited Mt. Rushmore last year. It is breathtaking. I have always seen the pictures but nothing compares. The Black Hills and Badlands are also a must see when you are there. It is a trip you will never forget.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Yes, it is worth it but it is much smaller than you might think.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Go, go, go - pictures do not do it justice! and if you get a day with beautiful clear blue sky behind the mountain - it will take your breath away.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM

YES it is. Having lived in the Black Hills it is fantastic and wish I still lived out there.