Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Heavy quilt ?? >

Very Heavy quilt ??

Very Heavy quilt ??

Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM

wool batting is actualy lighter weight than cotton batting at least hobs wool is ligter its realy nice batting but maybee not what you whant for a heavy quilt you could make the top heveyer by using a decorator weight cotton as the backgrownd if your going to apliquay it there is another post somewere on here about a heavy quilt somone was longarming
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 AM

I am making a DJ quilt. The blocks themselves seem heavy. I think it's because there are so many seams and so close together that the block is like two layers...the beautiful front and the seamy back.
Kind of like a bargello quilt top feels very heavy because of all the seams.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
I remember well the weight of quilts when visiting my grandparents. Some winters I slept under 4-5 quilts. They were batted with cotton, most of the time the quilter made the batting as well. I can't remember hearing anyone talk about how they made them. Have any of you. I suspect the other materials were heavier as well.

You might get the 'feel' you are looking by using two battings or I believe there are heavier ones available.
My mama's quilts were heavy and made with homemade cotton batting. Daddy farmed cotton and for each bale sold he would get a sample roll which was roughly six inches across and about 12-14 inches long. Mama would stretch the quilt back on her hanging frame, then pull the cotton out with her hands and make it into as even a layer as possible, however thick she wanted it. Then she would add the quilt top and baste it all together. The thicker the cotton layer inside, the heavier the quilt.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Our kids had some "fur" coats and someone gave me some fur scraps so I cut them up into squares and bricks and made a quilt out of that with a light batting and a double knit backing...Boy, that's the quilt you want when you come in from the cold and are chilled to the bone.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I would use an old blanket for the batting too make it heavier.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by cbuchanan

Great example of the variety of members on this board. I'm always looking for the very lightest quilt. I made my Mom a quilt using Warm and Natural batting and it's so heavy, she is now unable to use it as her bed cover because she has arthritis and can't lift the quilt at night to fold it back on her bed. I'm curious about the opposite: what batting makes the lightest quilt?
Yes, we are a varied group! I also don't like the heavy quilts. I've made a few and gave them away. Sometimes I didn't know what it was that made them heavy. Sometimes it is the backing fabric.
For the lightest weight quilts, use low loft poly batting or Hobbs wool batting. Use a cotton fabric for backing.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 AM

I don't think your memory is wrong about the weight of the quilt. I was talking to a young woman who just turned 50, who was asking me if I knew how to make the heavy quilts she grew up with. She said the were filled with cut up old clothers that were "strung together to make a batting that didn't shift". She was asking me if I knew how to do that, unfortunately I didn't.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

use blanket for the batting I know they did that
Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM

I put double batting in a quilt once. I was way to heavy for anyone in my family. My sister in law wanted it. About a year later she told me she gave it to a homeless shelter. Too heavy for her! I had tied that quilt because there was no way to quilt it, it was just too thick.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Have you ever noticed the stitches in those very heavy quilts? Most of them, not so small and the quilts were a little lumpy in places. I have several of my grandmothers. Do yourself a favor and buy a chinese quilt if you want really heavy. I bought one and it was so heavy I couldn't sleep under it! I gave it to my sister, it's that all cotton thing...