Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Soap Scum on bathroom showers >

Soap Scum on bathroom showers

Soap Scum on bathroom showers

Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I use an SOS pad, rinse, dry and give a rub down with car wax and buff. Keeps it from building back and cleans easier next time.
This is a very interesting technique! Worth a try! It works eh?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 AM

I use the cheapest shampoo I can find. Dollar
store variety. Using a damp cloth, apply to walls. Wait a few minutes and wash off. If the walls are really bad you may have to repeat this process. After it is clean...try this process every two weeks for a sparkling shower.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
There is a product called "Lime Away" - bright green bottle. I use it in the shower, the toilet bowls, everywhere because we have so much lime in our water. Also been using Borax (in laundry aisle) and adding a bit to the dishwasher. Also going to try Borax in the tub and in the base of our shower. We squeegie our shower doors and inside the shower also. I got clear glass instead of the frosted patterned kind just so we would do it every time. Just takes a minute and really helps. There is a product that you buy at automotive supply stores - clear glass or something. It left a film, but the water didn't make stains on the glass.
* Product at automotive supply is called Rain X.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps
I just remembered hearing Kirstie Alley on Oprah telling Oprah that she cleaned houses in high school and she learned a lot from the rich families she cleaned for. One family cleaned everything with Vodka! Cheap Vodka! It doesn't smell, doesn't stain and it sterilizes! Just a thought! :-)
I've used cheap vodka to clean a musty moldy smelling wooden trunk from an estate sale. The smell disappeared after two cleanings. I was told that vodka is a natural anti-bacterial. Could be, but it worked when all other methods had failed.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julianna
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
There are great reviews for the Water Conditioning Magnet being put on water pipes. No water spots or build up and water tastes better. Most five star hotels have them installed. Now they are at the price for homeowners to have. About $80 a pipe.
CAUTION! Magnetic water scams are all around and have been for years. Check them out. Just go to Scam Busters - magnetic water scams and you will find many, one example out of Kansas City is Nikkon. There is testimony from scientists in Europe, Asia and U.S. from universities and testing laboraties as to these not working and several have lawsuits against them for fraud. :(
You have to find a reputable contractor who knows what he is buying. There are a lot of knockoffs. DD has the system in her new house and there is noticeable difference in no water spots, not even in her stainless steel sink. That impressed me! My ss sink is impossible to keep the water spots off.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps
Mr Clean "erasers" work wonders ----
This is my vote! Then have her squeegie off after EVERY shower! My husband and I both do this on our glass shower and it is a big save when it comes to cleaning day!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Ladies! Haven't you heard that a cut lemon does the job? No joke. Just like vinegar, it dissolves the soap scum away without having to scrub. Best choice is to rub the glass down with the lemon, then immediately rinse it since anything acidic will etch the glass if left too long.

Squeegie works great, but I can never get hubbie to use it - he would rather pay for a maid once a quarter rather than actually have to lift a hand to use it. I don't like the buildup or the smell of chemicals, so this is my tried and true method. Couldn't believe it when I first used it, and it smells great afterwards.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by VickyS
Ladies! Haven't you heard that a cut lemon does the job? No joke. Just like vinegar, it dissolves the soap scum away without having to scrub. Best choice is to rub the glass down with the lemon, then immediately rinse it since anything acidic will etch the glass if left too long.

Squeegie works great, but I can never get hubbie to use it - he would rather pay for a maid once a quarter rather than actually have to lift a hand to use it. I don't like the buildup or the smell of chemicals, so this is my tried and true method. Couldn't believe it when I first used it, and it smells great afterwards.
Does this only work on the glass? Or the whole tub?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM

The whole tub. Caution though, it does get slippery on porcelain. I've used it to scrub down my sink to get rid of the buildup.

I live in an area where we get well water 3/4 of the year and rain runoff the rest of the time. Mineral content goes through the roof! My neighbors put in a filter that uses table salt in place of the minerals and I thought I was drinking a salt lick.

It does a good job on mildew, but being a strong acid, use caution and definitely rinse everything down afterwards.

Good luck
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM

We cleaned vacant rentals for a living for 5 years (very long years) and we found the best way to clean is with a razor blade paint scraper. After removing as much scum as you can that way then clean with a Magic Eraser.