How did you learn how to quilt? >

How did you learn how to quilt?

How did you learn how to quilt?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 AM

My mom and on this Board.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 AM

Books, magazines, internet!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:18 AM

A friend of mine was into quilting. I'd sewen for years and she asked me to go to the guild she went to with her, so off I went and bought Fons and Porters - Complete Guide to Quilting! Read everything and off I went.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I've always sewn. For a few years while I was eating breakfast before work I watched Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson thinking, that looks like fun and gave it no other thought. Then I retired and one son said "Oh Good, now you can make me a quilt". WHat???? I don't quilt! He didn't even know I watched the show. He said, you can learn. So I took a class and made him the quiilt and the rest is history.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:24 AM

I started in the early 80's when quilting was just making a comeback in our area and we had lots of classes the "Y" high scools for adult ed a new quilt shop and then got a guild going and more classes so needless to say I got hooked on classes and techniques and recently took a class on hand embroidery by machine which I love
Old 05-15-2011, 04:24 AM

I started in the early 80's when quilting was just making a comeback in our area and we had lots of classes the "Y" high scools for adult ed a new quilt shop and then got a guild going and more classes so needless to say I got hooked on classes and techniques and recently took a class on hand embroidery by machine which I love
Old 05-15-2011, 04:33 AM

My interest began as a very young girl. I'd see grandma sewing quilt tops together and when it come time to tie them, the family would set up the quilt frame over the dining room table resting on the chair backs, and they'd begin tieing with yarn. I wanted to help but didn't know what to do, so grandma being the patient person she was would stick the needle through the fabric from the top, and my job from the bottom was to pull it tight, and then a half inch or less from where it came through push it back through till grandma could get a grip on the needle again and she'd finish; I was helping! it was fun to see the little "butterfly wings" once all the yarn was tied and cut. What wonderful memories. and the warmth in those quilts - heavy, with lots of real wool (carded from our own sheep- we raised a few) batting and then they'd be brought out of the cedar chest each fall in time for the cold long winters to set in... we never wanted to get out of bed once we were cuddled warm under the quilt.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 AM

my mom taught me to quilt let me make stitches when i was six which i am sure she took out at night after i went to bed but loved quilts ever since
Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 AM

about 10 years a go I bought a leisure arts book(sampler) and taught myself from page one and learned something new from every page. I still learn something new on every quilt I make. That reminds me, I still have to finish the quilting on my very first quilt from that book! It's a beauty.....NOT. I even taught myself rotary cutting....LOL...I nearly cut up my glass dining room table and I couldn't figure out why my cutter was so dull all the time.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:43 AM

At 5 or six, my grandmother let me sit with her group of quilters and do some hand stitching. After that, I never sewed until highschool, 1 time. Then I can not remember when, I fell in love with fabric. I watch videos and read books. I took a break for about 7 years. Then 3 years ago full boat ahead.