Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how is this posted on google when I posted here >

how is this posted on google when I posted here

how is this posted on google when I posted here

Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Owllady
Maybe none of us should have our town on here. I am considering taking mine off. Tell me why I should not and I will read your suggestions.
Do people in your real life know OwlLady would be you?

If not, nobody will ever put OwlLady from (your city/state) together with you, unless you are the only one who lives there. ;)

Honestly, if it's something you wouldn't tell your best friend just don't say it here. Idle gossip with people you know in real life can be far more damaging than a random web reader seeing something a total stranger said.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Honestly, if it's something you wouldn't tell your best friend just don't say it here. Idle gossip with people you know in real life can be far more damaging than a random web reader seeing something a total stranger said.
I'd lower that level of confidence much further than you have...like maybe to what I wouldn't tell the grocery bagger. :shock: Think about all the information people here share in the PDA section. All that is 'broadcast' all over the world as well.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by JulieR
I'd lower that level of confidence much further than you have...like maybe to what I wouldn't tell the grocery bagger. :shock: Think about all the information people here share in the PDA section. All that is 'broadcast' all over the world as well.
You're right. I was actually thinking of something in particular, an in-progress DWR I'd like to share but it's a gift for my sister and I wouldn't want her to see it early. :lol:
Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Live & Learn........

.....exercise Netiquette and watch what we say.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Not a moderator... but, everyone should realize that this is not a private forum. Nothing on the internet is. Google is going to pick up on key words in the topics we post, and honestly, its kind of interesting to be able to find posts here that way. People should never post anything on the internet anywhere that they consider "private". That and how many thousands of people are members of this board anyway. I dont mean to sound cold or rude, but if you are concerned with your posts being private, you shouldnt post any topics and stick with PM's.
Also not a moderator, but I am glad to be able to find us on a search engine. That is how I found this board. I was doing a search for binding tutorials.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
This is not a private forum, that's why you should not post pictures of yourself, kids or your address either email or snail mail!
Thanks for stating this. Just the other day there was a thread asking to post a photo of yourself. That post was for all the right reasons and friendly, but people forget that the photos are now "out there" and many people have their home town and pics of their grandkids on other posts.

I am very actively involved with a child abuse organization and the bad guys are lurking out there. Sad, but true.

Just a word to the wise.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks to all of you who have participated in this discussion. I thought it would be good to see others ideas and opinions. Hope this has helped a lot of readers.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM

I googled my real name. Found me, because I was listed in the death announcement of that husband. I googled my cousin and found him in Japan teaching. If your name has ever been in the newspaper, telephone book,anything public, you are in the WWW and not a thing anyone can do about it. If you ever signed voters registration, you are in there. That's how ancestry.com find people. Some times you are on page one, other times page 12,000 but you are there. Sorry.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Yes, it is amazing what you can google - get directions to your own house and phone numbers - anything that is public record can be looked at.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 PM

If I have your address I could go to google earth and zoom in on your house!! I did with my sons in Ohio and my girlfriends there is a squirrel on the phone line in the back!!