Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Professions (other than quilting :) ) >

Professions (other than quilting :) )

Professions (other than quilting :) )

Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 AM

First of all I am a wife of 32 years, a mother for 30 years, a Nana to Chloe for 2 1/2 years. I worked as a commercial artist, a bookkeeper, a convenience store manager. I spent 15 years as a retail florist..which I loved with a passion. Five years ago, on the way home from our daughters wedding..hubby turned to me and said "I didn't realize how hard you work at being a florist, now I want you to close the shop. You can stay home and quilt" Nothing more said, I closed up in 2 weeks and sold the building. Life is good!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 AM

Mother to son (36) and daughter (35), mother in law, grandma to 3 year old, and 1 year old identical twin boys. I also cook, clean, do laundry, and alllll the other household things we have to do. I work outside of the home as an accountant which pays the bills. Looking forward to retiring when I'm 70. (12 years to go....)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 AM

well lets see......
I'm a Domestic Engineer with special training in Human Development. I also dabble in home repairs and lawn care and I double as a taxi driver, short order cook, and maid. Is that enough?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 AM

Medical/Dental office managers, Clerical work, self employed business owner (commerical embroidery business) for 15 years, now letting somebody else pay me as a gate attendant at a composting site. Mom to 3 furbabies
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 AM

I am a Retired Postal Worker!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 AM

I'm a former market research interviewer, an elementary teacher, a college instructor, a computer programmer, a bank trust officer, and a fairly recently retired Presbyterian minister. Perhaps I should add "professional student" also! (LOL)
The congregation I currently worship with teases me about not really retiring because, like most ministers, I keep getting called back to assist with or lead worship in varying venues. But it is so hard to say "no" to folks I love!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 AM

I worked as a Registered Nurse. retired after 57 years and joined the quilting phase of my life. just loving it!!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 AM

before i became disabled, i was a Computer Systems Analist. BA in applied computer science. accident cost me alot of my memory of all that. but life goes on. now i raise my GD and do quilts and other stuff
Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 AM

I wore many hats through the years...my kids ask if I had every kind of job. In this order...just to say that when a better opportunity came along I tried it! Don't ever give up, there's always something else to try; & until you've done it, you never know what you'll like. The good thing is, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to ANY of these jobs, except fast-food...last choice. I worked about a year at most of these jobs at least 20 hours a week, starting @ 13; I was ambitious then, & just tired now. :shock:
Fast food worker
Upholstery worker- sewing miles of piping & tear-down.
Music store- instrument sales
Bank proof operator -encoding checks-probably doesn't exist anymore, since computers. LOL
Bookstore clerk
Highway Dept. -roadway survey taker; yes, annoying when you get caught in one of these. Summer, but led to a full-time job @ twice the pay.
Land Surveyor- transit, staking out center-line for new highways
Water quality testing- lakes & rivers
Soil testing- for compaction, roads & bridges.
Residential home developer- construction inspector, for the company.
Draftsman for highway dept.- computer (CAD)
Draftsman for local surveyor- residential loans, part-time
Pizza Delivery - bad economy -2nd job
House cleaning for others - bad economy -3rd job
Civil (Field) Engineer- career - 10 years. Hydro-electric/Geothermal Powerhouse construction.
Wife/SAH Mom/Volunteer/Home-school teacher/Scout & Sports mom too. Caring for my family has been the toughest job of all, but most rewarding.
Twenty years as the designer/draftsman/buyer for my husband, who has been a home-builder.

I make the point to my kids, don't just quit looking if you want a job, knock on every door; within reason. I offered to work for free for a week for one of these jobs (during a bad economy), & the guy said yes...I said if he didn't like my work ethic, I would just walk away. I worked there a year, until I graduated college, along with the Pizza delivery & house-cleaning to pay the bills. Someone told me that wouldn't be legal now...it probably wasn't legal then either, but it worked out fine.

Of course I am also old enough to have lived when kids could work young without any issue...like 10-year-olds with paper routes, babysitting under 12, cutting grass, & shoveling snow. Those are things my friends & I did all the time for spending money; my kids wouldn't have had these opportunities today. Hope a few of you still live where that's possible, safely. It was good life training.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Banned

Longarmer,- own business
Sales Associate - fabric dept PT
Mother to 2 (ages 33 and 31) step mother to 3;
and a grandmother
Have been:
in retail most of my life - cashier to administrative assistant to management.
also -
Photographer
Wedding director/coordinator/planner
Office work- receptionist to lead clerical to being the director of a company
Fed Ex
Real Estate
Insurance
Accountant
and worked with my husband for 5 years traveling the country in the motorcycle business!

Whew - I'm tired! ;)