Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
learning to HAND applique! >

learning to HAND applique!

learning to HAND applique!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by mojo11
I use straw needles #11 because they fit my hand better that applique needles. I get better stitches. I also use 60 wt cotton thread. I like the silk, but couldn't keep my needle threaded. I would certainly use what the lady uses. Later you can figured out what works best for you. After I started needle-turn applique, that is all I have been doing. I love it. Enjoy learning.
On keeping the thread on the needle.... I tie a knot at the eye of the needle.. then there is not problem!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mojo11
Thanks. I'll try that.
Your most welcome.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:57 PM

I LOVE needleturn applique! I use the foxglove straw needles and YLI silk thread for all of it. The thread is a little more expensive than regular cotten but I ony use it for applique so it lasts a long time. Also, I only use 2 colors! The light beige and kind of a khaki brown. I've done more than 2 queen quilts using a spool each of these two colors or less so it's really a minimal investment for thread. All the comments about how well it hides are absolutely correct. I can do needle turn applique in the car and not a single stitch will show. There is another brand the local quilt shop carries and I bought it in a pinch and promptly gave it away! It was much heavier that the YLI. Only brand I'll buy again.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
Everyone has a different combination of needle and thread that works for them. And each has their pros and cons.

You should try what she suggests, but also try others, so that you can decide what you are most comfortable with.

I use a number 11 applique needle and Mettlers 60wt cotton thread

A very thin needles really helps to make the invisable blind stitch but the straw needle is too long for me to be comfotable to sew and to get the accuracy that I want. But, I know many who are more comfortable with the straw needle than the shorter applique needle.

The silk thread must be knotted on the end of the needle to prevent it from slipping off all the time. I dont enjoy sewing with the silk thread, but others swear by it as you only need one or two colors for all your applique.
Ditto for me. I agree. I don't like the silk, but many of my friends use just silk. Also if you're going for heirloom, silk will bite into the cotton after some years. So to each his own. Play for a while and see what suits you best.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM

I just took a class and our instructor had us buy DMC 50 weight cotton thread. I may try the silk thread. I do like the straw needles.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I have a lady who is willing to teach me to do hand needle turn applique...she uses ONLY silk thread...is this a must???
also straw needles...

what do you all use..pro's, con's...
I love to do handwork, but applique the traditional way scares me to death!
Straw needles are thin and long with big eyes, So easy to use! and silk thread sews just like a whisper through butter!
Those tools just make the best looking appliques. Do not be frightened by applique. Just try it, with a tutorial here or in a class, and take it slowly at first, a stitch at a time!
You will be amazed at how soon you will be fast after a bit of careful practice! I really enjoy appliquing fanciful flowers on blocks!
( five appliqued blocks + four plain but coloful blocks make the center of a wall hanging!)
You can use whatever needles you have, and whatever thread you have and whatever cotton fabric you have to
make beautiful applique!
Jeannie
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM

wish ni had someone to teach me
Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 AM

I would use what the teacher suggests. When I took a class on needle turn, silk thread was very hard to find so the teacher suggested we use Mettler silk finish thread. Love it!!! She also suggested we use thread magic on cotton thread for hand work.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 AM

I would say, try it her way and then go from there. I just use 60wt thread. As for straw needles, they bend too easy for me. I like shorter ones.