Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 AM

I think many of us are quilters like you ~ When I think of the frugality of my grandma and great aunts and their quilts without expensive fabric and fancy machines, that is what I emulate. Bless your heart.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 AM

I doubt that anyone who loves to quilt should be unhappy with their work for there is so much more than the "perfectionist touch" put into it. When I quilt I think of my sister who claims she is a perfectionist versus the very "human touch" I put into mine. I love quilting for so many reasons other than trying to make them perfect. Love what you do and do what you love and be happy that you can quilt. There sure is many beautiful quilts that get pictured here and I do enjoy seeing them but then I go back to doing my own thing.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Don't get discouraged. we are all working on those things. I know that I am definitely. and you are probably way better at quilting than me. I have only been quilting a year and it has been fun. like you I am a caregiver and care for three people a hubby and two small children. I only wash fabric when it will bleed and then only in my sink, but that is just to keep it from ruining my tops.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
If your avatar quilt is one that you made, You're a heck of a great quilter!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I think "personal best" is the way to go.

As an example: if I walk to and from the mailbox without having to stop - that is a good effort for me.

If I compare myself to a "less than four-minute mile" runner - I'm not doing so well.

But if I compare myself to not moving at all, then going to the mailbox was a good thing.

I think the same principle applies to a lot of activities, including quilting.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 AM

I feel the same way you do Joy. I don't have a fancy machine, and don't have a desire for one either. I love to sew on my old singer. She has never let me down. I use the fabric I have. And buy what I can afford. Which I am lucky enough to buy at my LQS. I love to sew, quilt, and look at everyones work on here. You have a very full plate. And I do admire you for all you are doing. At the end of the day, you've got to have a good feeling about all that you have done. You have a very lucky family.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 AM

I went and looked at your pictures - you are what is known as a "Quilter's Dream"! Nice flat quilt tops, your points match and your borders are not too tight, not too wavy: They're just right!!

While 'quilts with issues' are fun to do once in a while (my LA friends tell me I'm sick!), nice, flat - and PRETTY! - quilts are a joy to work with! You just keep doing what you're doing!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM

You are a true quilter in every sense of the word. Fancy quilts made without love are just a piece of cloth sewn together. The love and prayers that go into your quilts is what makes them cherished gifts! Keep quilting, enjoy it, use it as your outlet and don't worry the quilt police will not be knocking on your door.
((((HUGS))))Terry
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks to all of you. You sure know how to make someone feel better and brighten their day. Thanks for listening to me.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Quilting is my "therapy" time. Although I am a perfectionist by nature, I have really adjusted my way of thinking about what is important in a quilt.....and perfectionism is not important. It is the love that goes into each one of them. Please don't fret over the 1/4" seams, fancy machines or which way to iron, those are just not important in the big scheme of things. Enjoy your break from caretaking and sew to your heart's content.