Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'? >

Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'?

Do You Like to Sew Quilt 'Kits'?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM

I'm really not very good at picking my own fabrics...the ladies in the shop I frequent are very helpful when I need it. I have bought a few kits when they were on sale, and have had no problem with putting them together. I don't buy pre-cut as I like to cut my own. When I first started quilting/sewing, the JoAnn's kits were very helpful as they were pre-cut, and although my sewing was not the greatest, they turned out ok, and I learned a lot about piecing.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 AM

I have purchased a few kits, but always have to cut my own fabric and never buy them unless they are on sale.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
I am working on my 1st King Size Quilt Kit and am surprised it is going so fast. Love the fabric colors together, instructions are good and everything is going together well. Is this the norm for kits? I have a crib blanket kit that I haven't started yet.
Oh, I love doing quilt kits.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

I liked the one kit I bought but I feel so guilty buying them as I already have more fabric than I can use in a lifetime!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
lbc

I have made three or four quilts using kits and have had good luck with them. So far, the fabric has always been generous. I agree that you need to check carefully to be sure you have the fabrics that are on the sample if that is important to you.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 AM

I have used several and some have much better instructions and have been please with the quality of fabric so far.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Although I have never bought a kit for a large quilt I have bought them for wallhangings and like them. Sometimes it's nice to have the fabric ready to use.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Yes, I prefer to do "kits". I'm color- picking out challenged and am attracted to patterns and kits because of the color.All my kits are just material , no pre-cuts.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 PM

After reading all of the comments I can see that each individual person has an opinion based on their own experience. I identify with the ones who are not sure if they are picking out the best colors. So for me, a kit is a blessing. I have made three, have three more half price ones waiting and after reading through the instructions, I think I will be able to do them. I have ordered from Fons and Porter, and Connecting thread.The quality of the material was better than I was expecting. Hope this helps some ladies who are are undecided.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM

I have used kits from time to time and find I really like them. Some of them have great directions and others not so much. My favorite thing is I don't have any fabric left over to put in a stach and for me that is a VERY BIG plus!