Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:52 AM

My mother always sewed. She made our clothes for us and I can even remember her making bridesmaids dresses. She made my first prom dress for me. I started sewing my own clothes when I was 13 (42 years ago) and have been hooked ever sense. She did make quilts so I didn't even think about quilting until I began to work with a lady who did do quilting. I saw what she made and decided to try my own (25 years ago). I taugh myself to cross stitch knit, and crochet about 30 years ago. Don't do as much cross stitching as I used to--too much strain on my eyes. Right now I an working on a crocheted sweater as well as a quilt, with 4 more quilt planned. Need to have the quilts completed by Christmas and the years already half over so I better get busy.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Mom had a brief fling with sewing before I was born, so there was an unused sewing machine in the house. She couldn't even remember how to thread or use it, so I figured it out from the manual and began sewing little doll clothes according to my own plan, pretty much 'cut, wrap and tack!' From there I progressed to making little dresses for my sister who was entering kindergarten... By the time I got to home ec sewing class in jr. high I was light years ahead of the rest of the girls. While they struggled with an apron and skirt for the whole semester, I whizzed through about 3 dresses. I remember a substitute teacher asking me for help in how one student could fix something she had royally screwed up! That was about 41 years ago... where has the time gone?!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 AM

My first sewing project was an apron, flowered cotton with a gathered skirt...I still have it.
I remember the teacher criticizing my doubled thread...
I remember but I thought she was wrong so no damage to my young psyche there... ! :)

I remember when the shift dress came along and everyone thought it would never stick. Shirt waists were the thing and I had made several. Most of my clothes through high school were home made by me or my mother.

I haven't made clothes for myself in years but do a lot of mending, adjusting and changing hemlines. Quilting is a far funner activity!

Linda
Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 AM

I've been quilting/sewing for almost 2 years now. I don't know why it took me so long to start. It was a very snowy Ohio winter & I decided to try to make a quilt. Then the addiction started!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:17 AM

I am 42 and my history dates back to....Oct 2010. ;) I am a late bloomer. Can't even imagine what kind of stash I would have if I started when I was a kid like most of you did.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 AM

I also have been sewing since 10yrs old. I loved being able to make garments that no one else had and yet were right in style.
Now I am loving quilting and machine embroidery. I still work and I work 2 hours away from home so my days are long, but I still yearn to get in the sewing room when I get home. Not always possible, but that tug is always there.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 AM

Too funny to think about. I started sewing because it was a required course in school and girls weren't allowed to take wood shop at that time.....my age is showing :oops: . Hated it in school but came in handy raising four boys. Once that period was over, I ventured into crafts for the "fun" aspect. Then went back to college to get my degree and had a custom bridal/evening gown business for a number of years. After that I decided I wasn't going to "create" anything craft-wise that I didn't like....lol. Then I discovered quilting.....need I say more.... :D
Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 AM

I have been doing crafty things since I was 6-7. Started out embroidering. My mother sewed all my clothes since I was impossible to fit. We always had a special Christmas project and I sure do miss making those projects with my mom (she died when I was 30). I helped make my children's quilts and started sewing in my 20's thinking my mother wouldn't be around forever, so I'd better start doing it myself. Only made blocks with or without strips until the last 5 years. Have crocheted, loved doing counted cross-stitch, now own an embroider machine so don't do that any more - mostly quilt and love it. Wish I had pictures of quilts done long, long ago and now keep pictures of nearly everything I do. Fun to see what you can accomplish and your color combinations. Love sharing quilts with others and have not made one for myself (LOL). Have got others started quilting and now they can't kick the habit either (LMAO) - what a wonderful way to share a part of yourself with others.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 AM

I learned to embroidery at age 9. I sat in the porch swing with an elderly neighbor lady.
she was probably the age I am now or maybe even younger!LOL. My maternal grandmother helped me with my first sewing project. We went to the grain elevator, bought two bags of chicken feed.took it home, emptied the bags, washed it and cut out a skirt and top. Many years later I bought a tub of feed sacks and in the bunch was a piece of that feed sack I had used. I still have it today. I've sewed for 60 years...OMG! I don't sew clothes, but I am teaching a young college girl to sew clothes. I bought her a quilt kit for her birthday and so she made and machine quilted it . Hopefully, she will want to make another and another and another....
Old 07-20-2011, 06:09 AM

My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 7 or 8 and I've sewed on and off ever since then. (I'm 52!) No matter what it is - whether I'm working on a quilt, or hemming a pair of pants, whenever I sew I think of her.